Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: No Power at the Top Box  (Read 5904 times)

Offline rwright13

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Oklahoma
No Power at the Top Box
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:03:47 pm »
Slightly different topic than previously posted.  There's no power at the 12v outlet in the top box.  I traced it back to the connection below the seat and there is no power at that plug in connection either.  Checked both 12v fuses (the 10 amp and the 20 amp fuse). Both are good.  The 12 v sockets at the other three locations all work as they should.  Does anybody have any other suggestions?  The bike is still under warranty but my dealership is about 70 miles away.  If it's an easy fix I'll just do it.  Or since its nice weather right now (in Oklahoma) I could just take a day and ride to the dealer provided they could get it fixed in a day.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: No Power at the Top Box
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 01:55:22 am »
*Originally Posted by rwright13 [+]
Slightly different topic than previously posted.  There's no power at the 12v outlet in the top box.  I traced it back to the connection below the seat and there is no power at that plug in connection either.  Checked both 12v fuses (the 10 amp and the 20 amp fuse). Both are good.  The 12 v sockets at the other three locations all work as they should.  Does anybody have any other suggestions?  The bike is still under warranty but my dealership is about 70 miles away.  If it's an easy fix I'll just do it.  Or since its nice weather right now (in Oklahoma) I could just take a day and ride to the dealer provided they could get it fixed in a day.
When you say you checked the fuses, how did you check? Is there voltage on them?

BTW, I think I have heard others here say the engine had to be running to get voltage in the topbox outlet. However I have my topbox voltage whenever the ignition is on with my TTSE. But you might wanna check that, in case there was a design change or whatever.

I know some lost topbox voltage after removing the rack that supports the topbox. But  I had no problem doing that either. But there is a connection there  that can give trouble.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline MooMoo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 03:59:01 pm »
Have you checked the relay under the right side cover?

Offline Thunestvedt

• Trophy Member
  • Ride proud
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fitjar
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:56:34 pm »
When I installed the top box, I got the same problem. Checked the fuse, all good. Checked the manual, turns out that the manual was wrong, it pointed to the wrong fuse for the power outlet. Checked the other fuses and found the correct one, changed it and all OK.
Davy Crockett MC
Triumph Trophy SE
ST 1300 (gone)
Suzuki Intruder (gone)
Kawazaki Vulcan (gone)

Offline rwright13

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:56:56 pm »
Finally got back to checking this out again.  Thanks guys for your posts.

Don - I checked the fuses at both fuse blocks on the left side under the rider seat trim by doing a continuity test.  Pulled each fuse and checked for continuity, all were good.  I checked for voltage, both with the bike running and with bike not running but key on, at the box socket, again at the terminals below the box and at the preinstalled connector under the pillion seat left side.  In each case no power.

MooMoo - What relay would that be?  I haven't had the right side cover off since installing the Triumph alarm (hmmm...wonder if I did something then).

Thunestvedt - Was it one of the fuses in the two fuse blocks or somewhere else?  That makes sense cause this circuit goes back to the switched side.  I'm wondering if there is not an inline fuse somewhere between the ignition switch and the connector.   :084:

Anybody have a shop manual and wouldn't mind looking this up? 

Thanks,
Richard

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 12:04:58 am »
*Originally Posted by rwright13 [+]
Finally got back to checking this out again.  Thanks guys for your posts.

Don - I checked the fuses at both fuse blocks on the left side under the rider seat trim by doing a continuity test.  Pulled each fuse and checked for continuity, all were good.  I checked for voltage, both with the bike running and with bike not running but key on, at the box socket, again at the terminals below the box and at the preinstalled connector under the pillion seat left side.  In each case no power.
Did  you check for voltage on each side of the fuse while in circuit? There is a little metal tap on each side of the fuse's top where you can check in-circuit voltage.

There is a top box relay which is next to Rear Brake Switch Relay and Windshield up & down relays on the right side of the bike. Four relays together there.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline rwright13

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:55:00 am »
Don,
No I did not.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll check them in circuit and the relays.
Thanks much!!

Richard

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 04:12:50 am »
On the subject of fuses . .

Another sometimes very handy item I should mention here is the Automotive Fuse Circuit Tester.   You can get these for any type automotive blade  fuse. But for your TTSE you want ATM.

The fuse in the circuit is removed and put in the tester. That limits the current to that normally used fuse value. And then the tester is plugged into the socket where the fuse was removed from.

And then the tester tells you how much current (in amps) is being drawn for that circuit.

edit:

In case anybody is looking for one of these, the correct item number for the TTSE fuses is item 67725 from Harbor Freight Tools. However, it seems to be discontinued there. But it can still be purchased here.  This smaller one can only handle 20 amps, which should be enough  for testing any ATM fuse in the TTSE.

-Don- SSF, CA
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 04:31:41 am by DonTom »

tweedy-bunch