Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Problem Restarting  (Read 4771 times)

Offline oldbrit

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Problem Restarting
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:08:02 am »
Purchased my Trophy just before Christmas and have covered about 1300Kms - first service carried out in January and dealer found no problems. But, I've since had a few occasions where the beast doesn't start immediately. I've noticed a couple of issues: 1. It won't start at all until the pre-start function checks are finished - bit embarrassing if I stall at the traffic lights and hold up traffic, even if only for a few seconds; 2. a few times it would take more than one attempt to get it started - heard a faint click as though the solenoid was trying to engage (same sound as if a flat battery) - started fine on the second or third attempt. I usually ride about once a week covering a minimum of 200Kms so the battery should be fully charged (unless I have a charging issue) and the battery sounds robust when it turns the engine over during an actual start so I don't believe it's the battery. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the Start Circuit.  Anyone know if TTs have any known issues with starting/restarting ?
All responses gratefully appreciated.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Problem Restarting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:31:29 am »
*Originally Posted by oldbrit [+]
Purchased my Trophy just before Christmas and have covered about 1300Kms - first service carried out in January and dealer found no problems. But, I've since had a few occasions where the beast doesn't start immediately. I've noticed a couple of issues: 1. It won't start at all until the pre-start function checks are finished - bit embarrassing if I stall at the traffic lights and hold up traffic, even if only for a few seconds; 2. a few times it would take more than one attempt to get it started - heard a faint click as though the solenoid was trying to engage (same sound as if a flat battery) - started fine on the second or third attempt. I usually ride about once a week covering a minimum of 200Kms so the battery should be fully charged (unless I have a charging issue) and the battery sounds robust when it turns the engine over during an actual start so I don't believe it's the battery. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the Start Circuit.  Anyone know if TTs have any known issues with starting/restarting ?
All responses gratefully appreciated.
With EFI vehicles, fast cranking is not always a good indication of having a good voltage for the electronics to start it with. It could still be a bad battery or a poor battery or starter connection. How old is the battery?  Often vehicles crank fast at ten volts, but the ignition needs closer to 11 volts to actually start. But I really cannot tell you the minimum voltages the TTSE needs to run the ignition.

But the days when 8 volts will run the ignition just fine (such as with points) are long gone, at least with most vehicles.

So do not rule out the battery quite yet.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:16 am »
Hi oldbrit,

There have been a few previous reports similar to yours.

These range from simply not being positive enough when operting the Starter button,
to faulty wiring, and starter buttons that had to be replaced,
although in those cases the button would to operate the starter at all.

One problem that has caught a few Members out is a loose connection at the Starter solenoid,
which is located forward of the main battery compartment -
One of the connections is easily knocked off, or knocked loose.
If it is not making a good connection this could manifest itself in the way you describe the "click".

According to the Owners Handbook :
When the ignition is switched on, the tachometer and speedometer
needles will quickly sweep from zero to maximum and then return to zero.
The instrument warning lights will illuminate and will then go off (except those
which normally remain on until the engine starts -see 'Warning Lights' on page24).
It is not necessary to wait for the needle to return to zero before starting the engine.

That describes the "normal" starting procedure - although after a stall it's my guess
that there could be an additional delay while the Immobiliser sorts itselft out.

There's some useful self help information and a Link to more information on the Starter Solenoid connections
over in the HOW TO : Check the most common faults & issues Topic ( Page 2 ),
under the alhabetically listed heading of "E : ENGINE WON'T START"

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:24:45 am »
One thing that needs to be clarified is if the problem is cranking or engine starting.

IOW, does the starter crank normally but it still won't start?

Or does it not start because the crank is weak and/or slow?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 03:18:17 pm »
As far as I am aware after a 'straight forward' stall, unless you turn the ignition off, it does not go through the power up routine again.  I am sure I have stalled mine but just pressed the button immediately and off I went.  If it goes through a power up routine my guess is a dodgy connection somewhere that powers the bike down and back up again????

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 04:29:31 pm »
As Coconut say check the battery and solenoid connections are tight. Especially as you say this started after the service they may have disconnected your battery.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:33:06 pm by malcolm »

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 05:58:51 pm »
Yes..... having been caught out by the starter solenoid connection coming adrift I can confirm it sounds like a similar instance. If your battery has recently been interfered with then there is a good chance this connection has been knocked and is only loosely connected.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch