Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: GPS  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
GPS
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:12:23 am »
Why are GPS units for bikes so expensive? What's the difference? OK there water proff but is that it? I have used the same Garman unit on my bike that I use in my car for the last 3 years no problem. I carry a plastic bag in case it does rain and that works great

Trophy Tom

Offline nakerr

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE - RIP
  • City / Town: Ft. Saskatchewan, AB
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:19:12 am »
Because the can I think. However saying that I have had Zumo 450 and 550 units over the last number of years. They are waterproof and the controls work with big and fat glove covered fingers.
Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

Past owner of 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (Pacific Blue) - RIP; - next bike ???

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:43:42 am »
*Originally Posted by Trophy Tom [+]
Why are GPS units for bikes so expensive? What's the difference?
The main thing is that not many are built. Just like anything else. Why are car batteries cheaper than cycle batteries? Tires? Other parts?

Car stuff is cheaper because a lot more are sold.

But many people use car GPS's on their bikes. Not nearly as good, but they still can be made to work.

BTW, how many car GPSes have a replaceable internal battery? At least it seems they do give quite a bit more with the cycle GPS. Seems better built and more serviceable all the way around.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:51:44 am »
Hi

I bought a Mio Moov 614 (basically a Garmin Nuvi) for £40 with free maps forever.  At that price I thought Id try it on my bike.  I have  just fitted the Triumph satmount, stuck high quality 3m dual lock tape (looks a bit like Velcro but 5 times stronger and waterproof) onto the sat mount and back of the satnav and then  followed the youtube link below to waterproof the satnav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UvIoL78Cg

Power is via a waterproof rubberised USB socket directly connected to the battery.

Works a treat !

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:30 am »
WOW great video thanks for sharing  :152:
Trophy Tom

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 03:45:07 pm »
Thanks, nice simple solution.  I got a lot more complicated with my Tom Tom and put it in a small Plano tackle box, made a waterproof switch for it, and used an Amps connector on the back to mount it to an Enduro Engineering mount with an SW Motech vibration resistant bracket.  See, I told you it was a lot more complicated.  When the 10 year old Tom Tom dies I'll go the silicone sealant route.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies