Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Possible new owner with sat question  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Quebec
Possible new owner with sat question
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:14:09 pm »
Hello everyone , I quite interested in a new Trophy Se and beyond what the salesman can tell me I'm sure the experience of actual owners is more accurate . For the Satnav , if I want to use the triumph bracket but not the very expensive Gps unit they say its made for 1. Can I use another GPS than those suggested by Triumph? if so which ones?  2. Still using the Triumph bracket, will my unit connect to the motorcycle system? thanks a lot !!
Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Possible new owner with sat question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:04:51 pm »
Hi there, the Triumph bracket has been used by people for Tom Tom riders, Garmin Zumo 550, 660 and 590's some needing a little adjustment to the back plate or how you attach the cradle to it.

Others have used a variety of RAM mount fittings to attach to the spare mirror mounts on the handlebars.

The Trophy has a dedicated audio input connector with a male 3.5mm jack designed to have the female connector on the garmin cradle wiring loom connect to it. With a suitable selection of 'gender' changers you could connect any audio out socket to it.

Again some people have used cheaper, non motorcycle specific units and then butchered the speaker outputs to give audio out but this often requires additional components so as not to overload the inputs.

If you find a sat nav which is capable of outputting directions over bluetooth then you could connect this to the Trophy audio system. I know in the past I have also used a sat nav app on my iPhone connected to the USB socket in the glovebox.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:08:35 pm »
From the looks on the parts fiche, the mount appears to be a standard four hole sat mount.  My TomTom will mount mount right up with no problem.  The only units that it says are not compatible are the Garmin Zumo 340 and 350.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 08:29:40 pm »
Also found this item on eBay

Budget Sat Nav

Looks like it would connect via bluetooth to the Trophy. Not sure if you can get US maps for it or not.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Quebec
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:08:58 am »
Thanks a lot for the info , happy I found the forum although the sheer amount of info/advice can be overwhelming sometimes!  :174:
Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:03:49 am »
Michael1960 why not pop over to the new member forum, introduce yourself and buy a virtual round
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:07:11 am »
One of the problems with fitting something other than the Garmin 660 to the Triumph Bracket
is that a different sized device could partially obscure some of the Instrument panel,
or even interfere with the movement of the motorised screen, so you should check dimensions !  :169:

Some Members have successfully used the Garmin 590 and mounted it higher on the bracket
by just using the bottom 2 device holes - lined up with the top 2 bracket holes.

If you're seriously in the market to buy a new Trophy then any Dealer of worth
shoud accommodate you to go and "measure up"onde in the showroom.

Have you taken a Test Ride yet ? ( guessing not if you haven't yet placed the order ! :008: )

Cheers  :821:

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »
Hi

I fitted a Garmin Zumo 550. I used the fix mention in other threads and made a small alloy plate 4 mm thick, which bolts through the bottom two holes of the TT mount. The garmin and the is mounted through the top two holes with the plate sandwiched and then the garmin mount through two holes on the top of the plate. This is better than just using two holes.

It's very secure, does not obscure any instruments and clears the screen well when fully lowered.

I would imagine you could do much the same with other sat nan's and after all the 550 is fairly large in comparison to some
It wasn't me !!