Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Scala G4 Compatibility?  (Read 5587 times)

Offline stevefrisco

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Frisco, TX
Scala G4 Compatibility?
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:07:26 am »
Hi everybody, I've tried to search for an answer, and can't quite get there, so here's my question.  I just picked up my new 2013 Trophy, and tonight I was trying to set up my iPhone and Scala G4 Headsets.  I've followed instructions and guidelines I think, Phone paired to Device, Scala G4 paired to Headsets.  I can play my iTunes music via Bluetooth to the speakers, but when I switch to headset, then nothing but silence.  I do have Nav audio on.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Scala G4 Compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:55:51 am »
Just a thought, but this one's easy to overlook :

Have you also switched Bluetooth Audio ON in the"ALT SOURCE" Menu?  :164:

To access the ALT SOURCE menu;
1. With the motorcycle stationary, press and hold the MODE/MENU button on the
audio switch unit until RADIO SETTINGS is highlighted in the display screen.
2. Press and release the SCROLL button until SOURCE SETUP is highlighted.
3. Press the SELECT button to enter the menu item.
4. Press and release the SCROLL button until the ALT SOURCE is highlighted.
5. Press the SELECT button to enter the item.
6. Press the SCROLL button up or down to toggle each item on or off,
and press the SELECT button to save the setting and move to the next item.

The display will scroll through in the following order:

• NAV AUDIO ON/OFF (see Audio Manual page39);
• BLUETOOTHAUDIO ON/OFF (only if device 2 is a compatible, paired device);

The display will return to SOURCE SETUP once adjustments have been made.

Cheers  :821:

Offline stevefrisco

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:43:39 pm »
Coconut, thanks for the assistance.  This morning, I went out to verify the settings, and both Nav Audio and Bluetooth Audio are on.  I also went back and paired my Scala G4 directly to my phone to make sure that function still works, and it does.   :110:So, now I'm still wondering, even though the phone and the Scala G4 pair to the Trophy just fine, why can't I get any audio to the headset.  Thanks all.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 01:10:19 pm »
The only other things I can think of are to double check that the AUDIO SETUP / AUDIO OUTPUT
is set to "HEADSETS" and not "SPEAKERS", and that the Volume is not Muted ?

If those are set correctly I would suggest starting again from scratch -
Delete all paired devices, then ONLY pair your Headset as HEADSET 1.

Switch Audio Output over to Speakers, then tune in a radio station so you can hear it playing,
then switch Audio Output over to HEADSET, and you should be able to hear the radio station in your Headset.

If you can't hear the radio station, then double check the documentation for your Headset,
and see whether there are any additional button presses needed to connect,
such as Pressing and holding Button A for 3 seconds ??

Once you've got Audio into your Headset via Bluetooth from the Trophy audio system,
connect your Phone by Bluetooth as DEVICE 1.

Offline stevefrisco

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:21:25 pm »
Coconut,  I confirmed setting to "Headset" and volume up.  When I connect the phone directly to the Scala G4, audio plays correctly to the headset, so I know that part works ok. 

I'll unpair everything and start over with the radio only to the headset as you suggested.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
stevefrisco, I too have the Scala G4 and I found that sometimes it takes a while for the audio to switch over for some reason. It's not the bike that is doing it, it's the G4. I've had to shutdown the G4 and start it back up and then it will work. I've concluded it has something to do with the VOX not hearing the other device going off. I ended up turning the VOX off on mine and just manually switching over between devices with the buttons. So far it has worked great this way even though it is a p.i.t.a and should work like designed. Tried getting Cardo to look into it, but they act like it's no concern since it's now an "old" model to them. Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:44:55 pm by atvtinker »
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline stevefrisco

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 04:59:34 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  Taking Coconut's counsel, I just went out to the bike and unpaired both the phone (Device) and Scala G4 (Headset).  I paired the Scala G4 (Headset) first, and checked to make sure the radio would play into the headset.  It worked perfectly.  Then I paired my iPhone to Device, and checked to see if I could get iPhone music to the speakers and then the headset.  Once again, it worked perfectly.

I was wondering if pairings and settings would be remembered correctly, so I turned the Scala G4 off, then turned the bike off.  After a couple of minutes I turned the bike on, then turned the Scala G4 on.  Shortly, I got the announcement in my headset that Driver A was connected, and after a few more seconds the radio started playing in my headset, just as I hoped it would.  Then, I powered everything back down, and started the process over, this time turning on the Scala G4 first, then the bike.  Again, shortly I got the announcement that Driver A was connected, and after a few more seconds, the radio again began playing in my headset.

So far so good.  Next to tackle incoming and outbound calls.  It seems I do have to do some actual work sometimes.  However, I sure am enjoying playing with the Trophy.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 12:57:11 am »
*Originally Posted by stevefrisco [+]
Then, I powered everything back down, and started the process over, this time turning on the Scala G4 first, then the bike.  Again, shortly I got the announcement that Driver A was connected, and after a few more seconds, the radio again began playing in my headset.

That's very interesting.  I have the G9 and if I don't turn the radio on before the G9 the radio doesn't connect with my headset.  It is a quirk I learned to live with.  The other problem I've had with the G9 is that it occasionally loses the connection to the bike but never to the phone. I've had this problem since day one and called Scala a couple of times.  They were not very helpful. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch