Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: General weather-proofing and a Starter Motor Cover ?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
General weather-proofing and a Starter Motor Cover ?
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:34 am »
I've been spending most mornings this week putting some more miles on my recently acquired '12 TTSE to get it up to the mark for the 10K Service in the first week of March...
Not an onerous task as the weather is not too bad, between 3 and 6 degrees C and with minimal sunshine.
The roads however here in Glorious Gloucestershire are awful....damp enough to bring the Road-Salt to the surface and get splattered everywhere on my beautiful Trophy...I've spent almost as long washing the bike after a ride as I do actually riding it..

Was the TTSE designed with the aid of a wind-tunnel ? Why is there so much road crud projected and collected by vital parts of the bike ? I think they forgot to add-in "Road-Crud" into the equations..

I have already fitted the OE Front and Rear Fender Extenders but they seem to have minimal effect.. I've already had to add a further 2.5" of rubber flap to the Front extender and a similar length horizontal kick-back to the Rear to keep crud from obscuring the Number Plate after more than an hour.

The Rear Suspension Drag Link gets an absolute blasting from the rearward travelling mixture of road crud coming from the front wheel that doesn't hit the lower part of the Fairing and DIY Exhaust grille. Having to spend time de-clagging this vital area is a minor annoyance and I wouldn't be so concerned if I could at least ensure it was properly lubricated via grease nipples.
My bike only has 9.1K Miles on it in 2.5 years but the Drag Link is already showing signs of "pitting"

What about the Starter Motor ? The Explorer SM has a plastic cover to protect it from the elements. The same cover is shown on the IPL for the Trophy but it isn't fitted...?
Any ideas or comments most welcome.

Don't get me wrong - I'm loving my TTSE and I want to enjoy riding it in all weathers, not just dry and sunny days..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT
  • City / Town: DH
Re: General weather-proofing and a Starter Motor Cover ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:54:00 am »
Gordon, I had exactly the same experience with loads of crud sprayed on the lower areas and the back of the bike.
So I fabricated extra protection for the lower exhaust and rear shock linkage from 3mm PVC plate. And added a small horizontal flap on the rear fender which does an excellent job to prevent rear wheel spray on the upper backside of the bike. Next was a Powerbronze hugger and a homemade flap fastened with double sided tape on the lower section of the swing arm to prevent rear wheel spray reaching the shock linkage.
Will post some pics asap.
2014 Lunar silverTriumph Trophy
2016 Bonneville T120 Black

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:20:52 am »
The Explorer SM has a plastic cover to protect it ( Starter Motor ) from the elements.
The same cover is shown on the IPL for the Trophy but it isn't fitted...?
Not sure which cover you mean, unless it's the one shown in the below image,
which is also used on the Explorer XC - same Part Number ( World of Triumph Part Number shown ).

Maybe take that one up with the Dealer who supplied the bike or just buy one and fit it ?

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:40:58 pm »
In total agreement Gordon, just the thought of my brand new bike covered in all this salt & crud is heart breaking but I'm lucky to be able to choose to ride or not - although it's still a frustrating wait for clean roads.
Looking forward to seeing your photo mods Mustang.
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 03:14:22 pm »
@ Coconut - Yep, that's the one.
I've asked the Triumph Tech' at my Dealers and he wasn't aware that there was one fitted to a Trophy - we checked the Showroom stock together and none of the New Bikes have it fitted.... but the Explorer models do.
It may be a read-across error from when they made up the IPL for the Trophy but it appears to fit so I've gone ahead and ordered the bits (Collect tomorrow) and will try to fit it over the weekend.
If I hit any problems I'll let you know.
Parts are :-
T1310041 - Starter Cover
T1310042 - Bracket Cover
T3331044 - Screws x4
T3202303 - Bolt, RHHF, M6x1.0 x2  These last two bolts may not be needed. That little lot came to £19.10 - quite a bit cheaper than a Starter Motor.
I have asked (via the Service Manager) if Triumph can explain whether or not it should be fitted as Standard but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a response..

As for the other "weather-proofing" Mods..Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has decided to do something about it.

I don't actually LIKE cleaning a Bike more than I have to - normally a sponge and water wipe-down man myself - but these winter road conditions really are when I have to break the normal routine and remove as much as possible before it does any damage.

I shall be sorting out the Rear Wheel Turbo-Shower "Curtain" in due course..

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:37:29 pm »
Qoute by Gordon:  If I hit any problems I"ll let you know
I owned a 2012 and 2013 Explorer. The latter was leaking oil from a blanking plug behind the starter motor. It was not possible to remove the starter cover with the exhaust pipes in place. So there might be a problem installing the cover.
By the way, my 2014 Trophy has no starter cover installed as well.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »
Thanks for the warning Mustangpilot -

I've just checked in the Service Manual and see that I will need to remove the Right-hand side of the fairing to get to the Starter Motor..

The two fixing bolts will need to be removed to fit the Cover Bracket first..... Until I get the Cover I'll not know for certain if anything else has to come off...

Perhaps that's why they haven't fitted it - as the two mounting bolts look to be difficult to get to, as you can see from the attached picture

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 02:51:08 pm »
pics as promised

tweedy-bunch