Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tires and electronics  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Darby Grey

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Olympia
Tires and electronics
« on: February 14, 2015, 01:00:12 am »
Are the electronic sensors and the algorithms on the Trophy so precise that choosing a tire not specifically considered in their design might introduce significant changes in the reactions of the traction control or electronic suspension?

We know that changing tire profiles can change the tire diameter and the speedometer reading. Might a change in the rigidity of the sidewall mislead the TES? Could a change in the tire's stickiness alter the reactions of the ABS? Are there other characteristics built into the algorithms?

Triumph is very specific in the owners manual as to which tires to use. Maybe there's a reason.

Just a thought.
If you don't go when you wanta go, when you do go you'll find you've gone.

Burt Munro

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: Tires and electronics
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 02:38:24 am »
G'day Derby,

Stick to the specifications but play around with manufacturers. Since changing to Michelin PR4GT I haven't looked back; no ill effects to TES etc. 14,000km and still going on the one set.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 05:22:19 am »
Darby, I think ABS and Traction Control are both using the ABS sensors to operate.  There is a front wheel and rear wheel magnetic sensor that is 'looking" at a ring on the wheel that has holes in it.  By comparing the rate of the holes passing by the sensor on the front wheel versus the rear wheel the ECU knows if a wheel is spinning or not.  They should be the same. If not the ECU decides if ABS control is needed or Throttle control (in the case of the rear spinning faster than the front while the front still turns).  So, tires should not make a difference.
The Trophy handles well, changing tire sizes could change handling characteristics. I think Triumph got it right the first time, I would not change tire sizes.
For some reason Michelin tires was not listed in my manual but I don't think its because the tires do not work, I think it for some other reason.
Good luck!
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:49 am »
I'm running Bridgestone T30 GT on my recently acquired '12 TTSE - not one of the recommended tyres for this bike - but there are NO Bridgestones recommended in the Specifications section of the Owners Handbook.

The T30 GT does have a stiffer sidewall construction suitable for bikes weighing over 550 pounds - the TTSE qualifies on that count. I feel the extra stiffness may have an effect on the TES calibration

I almost have no experience on the recommended tyres as the pair fitted when I bought the bike were sadly too worn to continue learning to ride this bike. I do find that it is slightly more comfortable to ride in the COMFORT setting on the TES and with NORMAL selected it does appear to be less comfortable over the road irregularities such as patches and pot-holes - hard to avoid all of them in the UK.
Not even tried the SPORT setting yet but the T30's do inspire confidence for me in bad weather conditions..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 10:46:50 am »
Good question never thought about that, and the replays were vary interesting
Trophy Tom

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:47:07 pm »
I changed to Avon XM's after the original tires were worn. On one set the rear was a 190-50 instead of a 190-55 because that was all I could find and I was leaving on a trip. I had no issues at all. My TPMS has always been spot on with my accurate tire gauge. and the suspension seems to work as advertised.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 04:32:46 pm »
I believe the ABS calibrates it self every startup as you roll out, that's why the ABS light stays on until you roll a few yards.  So different tire diameters within reason should be compensated for.

I had a slightly bent ABS ring on the front, and it would fail the ABS in cold weather.  Easily straightened, but my dealer replaced it anyway...

I have PR4 GT's fitted now, and am very happy with them...  I'm guessing I'll get more than 10K mile of service, but .. -5F and snow now...

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...