Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: question about 10k service re valve check/adjust  (Read 3357 times)

Offline pete

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Waynesville NC
question about 10k service re valve check/adjust
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:55:31 pm »
Bought my 14 Trophy last June and coming up on 9600 miles so went and got the 10,000 service work estimate printed out at my local dealer.  Just going over it now and notice the job description calls for checking valves and camshaft timing at this service (then again at the 30K)  but in the owners manual it has first valve check at the 20K service.  In other words, according to the dealers stuff, the big services fall at 10,30,50 etc, instead of 20, 40 60...

It all works out the same I guess but I'm a bit confused as to why the difference between the manual and the official Triumph shop order?  At any rate the quote, all in, with tax, shop supplies, etc, ended up at $873, which is about what I expected for the big service but just didn't expect that this service would be the 'big' one.

At any rate, it's running great ( with the exception of the audio/dead battery thing at 7,234 miles) but will also need a set of tires probably when I get the service done.

Totally satisfied with the bike though, and would replace it with the same if something were to happen to it.

Pete C

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
Re: question about 10k service re valve check/adjust
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:15:01 pm »
They are wrong valve check service is 20k I would go to another dealer if I were you

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:51:43 pm »
Estimate sounds a little high to me, but I could be wrong
Trophy Tom

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:13:09 pm »
I did mine myself at 20,000 as the book says. Ten of the twelve valves were tight and the bike does run better. I expect the 40,000 check will find the valves need little attention since they are now probably seated in. Checking the valves can be done in a reasonable time, but adjusting is more time consuming because the cams need to be removed for the shim under bucket design. Depending on the dealers labor rate I can see where it could easily be $800 especially with the other parts involved. I had six hours in my valve adjustment, but it was the first time I had the bike apart this far. Next time will be quicker. Shim under bucket is a pain, but it is also the reason for the NICE 20,000 mile service intervals.

Offline pete

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Waynesville NC
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:36:54 am »
*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
They are wrong valve check service is 20k I would go to another dealer if I were you

No, he's a good dealer (great, actually) and they got back to me and said they got it wrong.  I think mine is only the 2nd one they've sold so their experience with them so far is a bit limited but I've been dealing with them for 10 yrs now and have total confidence in the staff and mechanics there.

At first glance, I thought because of the problems Triumph has had with some Trophy's, that they had possibly changed things mid-stream and  moved the valve checks forward to the 10K service on the 2014 models but still keeping the 20K intervals overall.

Anyhow, thanks for helping to clear things up.

Pete C

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:30:13 pm »
At the first valve check interval (32,000kms)mine were basically as NavyDad said. Tech said more needed adjusting than usual for Triumphs, but not many do those sort of distances. My 64,000kms service is up shortly so I will see if they have bedded in.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 10:24:38 am »
Mine were not checked a the 10,000 mile service. Glad to see your dealer got back to you with an apology.

It would get really expensive if you had to have the valves checked every 10K!
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

tweedy-bunch