Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear suspension linkage  (Read 2533 times)

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
Rear suspension linkage
« on: February 16, 2015, 01:25:25 pm »
I was just reading coconuts service sheet and it says to lubricate the rear suspension linkage how do you do tHis I think I read there is small roller bearings in the linkage. I would think grease but how do you get it in there?

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
Re: Rear suspension linkage
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:26:33 pm »
You have to take it apart and grease the rollers, not a big job. I haven't done it on the Trophy yet the last bike I did it on was my Stelvio I think the Italians only use grease on there hair they definitely dont use it on bearings.

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 05:34:11 pm »
On my last 3 Triumph Tigers and on my son's Sprint ST regular extra attention to the linkage needle bearing lubrication is good practice. Mainly because the linkage area is subject to grid and moisture blast coming from the front wheel spray. On my last Explorer I took them apart a bit late after only 12000mls. Almost no grease was left, wear marks visible and some rust showing already.
Not done my Trophy yet but I will have a closer look soon.
2014 Lunar silverTriumph Trophy
2016 Bonneville T120 Black

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »
*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
You have to take it apart and grease the rollers, not a big job. I haven't done it on the Trophy yet the last bike I did it on was my Stelvio I think the Italians only use grease on there hair they definitely dont use it on bearings.

:745: :745: :745:

The only bike I've seen made in the last 20yrs that had grease nipples fitted to the linkage was the old Tiger 885 (900 / Steamer) I suspect the mechanics that had serviced it prior to my ownership didn't know what they were for  :138:

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »
I did take apart the lower and back suspension linkage and the bearings were dry I repacked with heavy duty boat trailer grease now I've just got the front one to do which looks like the stand must be removed. Then the bike has to be supported by a jack I guess. Which is a pain.
Anyhow worth doing 33000 km and they were dry.
Has anyone lubricated the front linkage yet and come up with a easier way I think the plate that was fitted for the recall is the one in the way.

tweedy-bunch