Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Noise and nuisances  (Read 4289 times)

Ndo

Noise and nuisances
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
Someone complained about the bike sounding like a sewing machine. They were looking for a slip on that would make the bike sound better.

I think that noise comes from that long chain from the cam. No slip on is going to cure that. It seems to me, that noise is a characteristic of this engine  and you have to live with. If you try to discern the sound of the muffler by itself while you are riding, you 'll notice the muffler actually sounds pretty good and its quite. The racket comes from the engine itself. I do think this engine is too noisy. We need to make some foam inserts for the tunnel by the tubes to cut down on the noise coming up from in there.

How about those vibrating handlebars. Though I must admit I owned much worse vibrating handlebar. I would guess that vibrating throttle can get bothersome on a long long trip. I am having my engine bolts re-torqued see if it helps. It could be just my bike.

The horn! I am changing it. I blow farts louder than that

The seat: someone said that they felt uncomfortable with hot-spots going for a long ride. On the way back it was more comfortable. I think this seat has what is called 'memory foam' and it takes about 1k worth of riding to mold to your butt and farts. Then it feels more comfy.

The Tires: This is the first bike I ever had that I don't hear everyone running to change the stock tires. These Angels ride really well.

The high beams are so good, I am not sure if HID would be that much on an improvement.

Other than the mystery grease on the forks, it looks like my favorite bike of all times

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: Noise and nuisances
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »
I blow farts louder than that? " GOOD ARSE "  :745: :745:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:01:44 AM »
 Hi Ndo
How are the forks?  Read my update in Fork Seals.

I owe you a beer for the centrestand trick. So easy to operate now.

I agree re the vibration. After the ST, it vibrates.
The harder you hold on or press on the footpegs the worse it is. A light grip, which is best for handling, helps.
Mine is worse than the demo, which I've ridden a bit of late. I'll get used to it.

I like the tyres. It peels into corners very easily and it is easy to change lines. Far easier than the ST (I know I go on about the ST, but it is my strongest reference) The tyre helps absorb bumps also, as 2 up, I can feel the tyre acting as a cushion, especially on the sport setting.
The seat is confusing re comfort. On the first ride, didn't like it. Now it seems OK while riding, but afterwards, like now, my bum feels like it's had a paddling just below the cheeks. Odd.
Ride Safe

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:25:46 AM »
I agree with you Robmcg - did 700 km over the weekend, and the only issue I had was 'numb bum', which I wouldn't have expected with a gel seat. The pillion was totally happy with the comfort.

Fork seals dry! Fuel range was up near 600 km, but we were in a group of 15 very moderate riders. Well overdue for service now, where I will have the top box fitted, and get the inner bags. 
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tropy 59 [+]
I agree with you Robmcg - did 700 km over the weekend, and the only issue I had was 'numb bum', which I wouldn't have expected with a gel seat. The pillion was totally happy with the comfort.

Fork seals dry! Fuel range was up near 600 km, but we were in a group of 15 very moderate riders. Well overdue for service now, where I will have the top box fitted, and get the inner bags.

I don't think they are gel seats anymore they have '3d net insets for optimum comfort', obviously doesn't suit everyone.

Ndo

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »
Keep riding! eventually you get calluses on your butt and you wont feel any discomfort. This is a process called Ironbutting your arses to fit the seat....rather than looking for a comfortable seat for a soft arses.

Its a different approach  :745:

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
It was me who mentioned the noise emanating form the bike. I think the sewing machine noise is actually the shaft drive. The plasticy rattly noise is the fairings I suspect. I find the fly by wire throttle very sensitive. Hopefully, a set of puppy grips will help here.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
I felt that my bike ahd little vibration but afgter about 500 miles now I am noticing it on the bars and pegs.  Glad to see it is normal.
The seat seemed top notch but after a 300 mile ride I felt signficant discomfort.  It will either break in or I will so I'm not worried!
Going in for service tomorrow.  Other than one saddlebag that looks warped on the top edge I dont have much to have them do.