Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy SE Strange Sensation Front Wheel  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Trophy SE Strange Sensation Front Wheel
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:27:29 pm »
I'm a new owner of a 2013 Trophy with 4500 miles on it. Got rid of my 2013 Triumph Bonneville to buy the Trophy from a Triumph dealer. The factory warranty is good until July. I've had the Vin run at two different dealers and both said that the bike has had its 500 mile service and that all the recalls and TSB bulletin's have been taken care of. I've only had it about a week and just noticed on my last ride that as I enter a turn at speed and in a twisty curve, It feels like the bikes front end takes a little bump and wants to step out, kinda scary feeling, I cant figure out if its suspension, wheel or tire that's causing the problem. It does not do it on a low speed turn, just seems to do it at higher speeds on sweeping curves, almost like it suddenly decides to resist the turn part way thru. I've been riding 35 years and have owned a lot of different bikes, but I've never really experienced this kind of steering issue. I've inspected both tires (Pirelli Angel ST's) and they have good tread left and are wearing evenly with the wear patch evenly distributed, I didn't see any irregularity in the tires. I don't know if they are the original tires from the factory because I don't know what tires they come with from Triumph. Does anyone know what the 2013 came with from the factory. Also, does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this issue.
I wanted to add that its on longer sweeping curves at normal speeds, I'm not speeding and scraping pegs or anything like that. After reading my post, I thought I should edit and clarify because it read like I was riding hot into a curve and breaking traction, not the case.
Thanks for your input,
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:55:37 pm by Zebraranger »

Offline AVI.INC

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hawthorne CA.
Re: Trophy SE Strange Sensation Front Wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:39:26 pm »
I found that the stock tires did not give me the same confidence that i get from the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT .
I must be going too fast for too long evey time i get back i'm younger!!

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:42:45 pm »
You are running the OEM tires and I think the Angels are a dual compound tire.  That means the center of the tire has a harder compound than the side walls for better handling and longer wear.  Run your hand over the tire and see if you can feel a ridge as the tire goes from the middle of the tire to the sidewall.  In other words the center may be a little flat.  That ridge will give you that feeling as you start turning.
Also, many of us here run 38 lbs in the front and 42 in the rear.  Check your tire pressure.
Good luck.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:45:05 pm »
Some things to check, or have checked by a Dealer,
( in no particular order ) would be :

Tyre - condition and pressure,
Wheel Spindle tight / torqued correctly,
Wheel Bearings,
Headstock Bearings,
Brake pads free to slide in their calipers,
Forks travelling smoothly, correct quantity of oil, and securley clamped,
TES working correctly.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:47:47 pm »
I did not like the original Pirellis at all. They never felt right to me and at 7000 miles they were shot. Actually as far as handling is concerned they were shot from the start. You may have another issue, but my money is on the tires.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:22:54 pm »
*Originally Posted by AVI.INC [+]
I found that the stock tires did not give me the same confidence that i get from the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT .

I can agree to this after 13,000km since changing to PR4GT. After changing to PR4GT there is no noticeable flex in the tyre sidewalls compared to OEM PAST especially two up, loaded, at speed.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 10:32:51 pm »
The fact that you say you feel it notchy makes me think it is you steering head bearings either need adjusting or replacing. Put the bike on the centre stand and get some one to hold down the back of the bike so that the front wheel is of the ground. Now grab the front forks and check for any play or notchyness.

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 11:58:22 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies. I will do the recommended checks and re-check the air pressures.