Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Contemplating a Trophy  (Read 10160 times)

Offline captsprocket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lake Worth, FL
Contemplating a Trophy
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:54:35 pm »
I am new to the forum, but as of now, not yet a new Trophy owner.  I, like quite a few I see on here, am a Harley Ultra rider.  Been riding my Ultra for the past 8 years.  I am looking to bring my bike into the newest, latest technology, and what I see from the Trophy is very inviting!

I have not read anywhere in here that a former Harley rider has regretted the switch.  My question is, does it take some time to get used to the different riding style and will the sport touring riding position hurt my back?  I don't have any back problems but I have never ridden a sport touring bike, so I'm curious as to whether it could cause problems in the future.

It seems that, with all of the comparable options that are on the Trophy as are on the Ultra, the price differential is almost a no brainer.  The only thing I see you are getting with the Ultra is the brand name.  And you know what they say about Harley...put an HD on something and you can automatically jack up the price by 150%!

So for those of you that switched, what did you do with all of your Harley t-shirts and other HD goodies?   :028:

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Re: Contemplating a Trophy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:08:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  I had to reply as I have had back problems for years, also had a herniated disc from a fall a year ago, but have been riding since without issue, hardest part was getting on and off the bike.

I bought a brand new Sprint GT just after my fall a year ago - unfortunately was committed to buying, but had to sell after only 3 months of ownership.  Since then have had the TT and have never looked back.

Its a fantastic bike, not completely infallible, with a few minor quirks, but is by far the best thing I have ever ridden and after my test ride of a BMW R1200RT last year, the experience was like night v day.

BTW - I also ride through the winter as the weather protection is fantastic.

This one is a keeper.

regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline captsprocket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lake Worth, FL
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:12:37 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Garry!  That is good news.  If I can work it in I will go up and take a test ride tomorrow.  Also, do you know whether or not there is any negotiating on the TTs?  Or is the price the price?

Thanks again Garry.  Happy trails to you!

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:19:28 pm »
dont know how it works in the US, but you can usually prise a little extra out of the sales guy/gal if you try hard enough ;)

Be careful about taking your wallet, if you try, you'll buy, make sure you test it on some twisties, I do 30 miles of bends every day, one of the reasons ill still ride in winter even when its icy.  My one and only recommendation is to swap out the stock tires (pirelli) with Michelin PR4GT tires, i changed mine at only 4000 miles as the difference is that great - IMHO.

As i said, just be careful with your wallet, and good luck.  Enjoy.  btw - where are you located, i used to live TX, mainly boring roads around Austin.

regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:37:43 pm »
Welcome to the Forum :400:  I can't answer many questions vis a vis the Harley simply because although I've ridden them I've always had the good sense to never own one :008:.   Regarding price negotiation, yes someTriumph dealers have demonstrated great flexibility in order to sell the Trophy.   It all depends on your location, time of year, competition and amount of left over inventory the dealer is carrying.  There are a few threads discussing pricing if you use the search tool, including some discussions comparing leftover 2014s with 2015s.  You may want to change your profile to include general location so we can perhaps give you location or dealer specific advice.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 10:08:48 pm »
Hello and welcome.... I can't compare with a Harley either as have only ever been a pillion on one....

The riding position on the TTSE is excellent in my opinion.. The only time I have really had any grumble was a long day riding down from Salzburg into Northern Italy through the Alps.... Was about 10 hours in the saddle of quite strenuous mountain riding so to be expected...

:400:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 12:27:03 am »
 :400: to the forum.  If you don't want to buy one right away, DON'T TAKE A TEST RIDE!  A plethora of owners here will attest to the fact.  :001:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline snarl

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ledyard, CT
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 01:28:29 am »
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
:400: to the forum.  If you don't want to buy one right away, DON'T TAKE A TEST RIDE!  A plethora of owners here will attest to the fact.  :001:

Very true. My test ride ended up costing just over 22 grand . . .  :821:
Oooo, that's cool. I want one! . . . what's it do?

tweedy-bunch