Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Paint protection kit  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Trophy Oz

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: New South Wales
Paint protection kit
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:58:43 PM »
Hi all,  Has anyone fitted the paint protection kit that is listed on the Triumph web site to their Trophy?  If so how did you go fitting the pieces for the fuel tank? I have not ordered my kit yet but was thinking about it to protect the fuel tank where your knees go.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Re: Paint protection kit
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:56:29 AM »
Hi there,

I have the paint protection kit fitted to mine. It comprises of a number of clear vinyl panels that go along the leading edges of the fairing and on the sides of the fuel tank. It is almost invisible when fitted. Mine was fitted by the dealer along with all the R&G crash protection kit before I collected the bike as part of the deal so I can't comment on how easy it is to fit.

It is so hard to see that I had to look very closely to make sure the dealer had actually fitted it rather than selling me the Emperor's new clothes!  :005:

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Trophy Oz

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:58:33 AM »
Thanks BP,  I have been told it is like fitting window tint to a car and I have done a few of these before.  Do you have any pics?  Can you see any of the edge of the film along the fuel tank or does it blend in.

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »
I had the dealer do mine as part of the deal but they told me you fit it same as window tint.
I think its great and I already have boot scuff marks on the panniers where the protection is.
On the rest of the bike you can't tell its there, good stuff.
Simon

Offline Trophy Oz

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Thanks Simon,  I wish I found out about the Triumph kit before I took delievery of the bike and I would have put pressure on the dealer to put it on also.  Maybe I can get them to do it as part of the first service, that way if they stuff it up they can pay for the next lot.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
No point in taking photos - the panels are virtually invisible. You have to look very hard to see the edges. I never considered fitting them myself - after having lots of "fun" fitting phone screen protectors over the years I thought I would let somebody else do it. If they screwed it up then they could replace it!

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
If it is like vinyl we used to use a water washing up liquid mix and then can slide the vinyl around to get it right then just use the edge of a credit card to expell the water and it then sticks?  First time we were told I though it would never work and stop it sticking all together but it actually works.

john

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
I fitted a kit like this to my Multistrada.  It all depends on your skill level.  Mine around sharp corners was fair at best so it was not perfect.  But, it did the job and protected the bags especically from scuff marks.  Also put film over the front faring and the gas tank.