Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tropy vs Tiger  (Read 8381 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
Tropy vs Tiger
« on: February 22, 2015, 04:58:18 pm »
Hi Gents,
 I currently own/ ride a 1050 Tiger.   I've been chomping at the bit to purchase a Tiger Explorer XC; and went to the local dealer here in New Oreleans.   The EX wasn't prepped.  Consequently, I took the Trophy out for a ride rather than wastimg my morning....  Holy Cow, i really enjoyed the experience.  And, I've been a closet RT fan due to some of my buddies having them.   I do do alot of motorcyle camping and wanted the exlorer so that I could get off the beaten path and carry my gear/girth (6'4" / 255)....  However, I only camp about 4 times a year and I think I would enjoy the touring capability that the Trophy allows.  Ilike the radio, fairing, windshield, cruise control and the list goes on.   Is there anyone out there the made the jump from one style of riding to the tourer?  How do you feel about your shift and do you feel like you're missing something?   Cheers BC
Big Country

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
Re: Tropy vs Tiger
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 05:37:24 pm »
Never had an explorer but I have camped with my Trophy, rode on dirt and gravel roads in Utah and actually crossed a creek with it.  Creek crossing was not planned but I had no choice.  The bike was more confidant than I was.
Good luck.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:46:17 pm »
Hi bigcountry, welcome to the forum. You might want to pop over to the new members section to introduce yourself more fully. But, in answer to your question. My only experience with the Explorer was when I had a loan one for 10 days. It was fun but exposed and more tiring than riding the Trophy. The Trophy will handle most things.... been down some loose gravel tracks and packed mud roads in Ireland, plus some really poor roads in Northern Italy and it didn't put a foot (tyre) wrong. If camping is more of an occasional thing then i would definitely say go Trophy over Explorer.

All the best,

Kevin
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:55:28 pm »
Thanks, Crop.  I didn't introduce yet as I am not an owner.   I truly like the Trophy and I won't take it off road.   I think I may be doing alot of long distance riding and thought it might be better over the long haul for that.  I did do 16 hours straight on my Tiger/over 1000 miles? didn't think about iron butt at the time.   Anyway, thanks for the feedback.  I was worried about my leg length.    Cheers BC
Big Country

Offline clarge

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Qualicum Beach
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 06:33:22 pm »
i have owned both. right now i have the trophy. Had the explorer for a year and did about 5k on it. I like them both. One advantage to the Explorer is that there is a lot more choice on after market stuff for it if are so inclined. Trophy to date is very limited over than official add ons.

Some days i wish i still had the Explorer. Like both for what they do.

Offline snarl

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ledyard, CT
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 06:42:51 pm »
 I do a lot of tent camping off the bike too. One of my favorite places is the Green Mountain National Forest in Vermont, so camping is free. Yes, I'm cheap.
 It's over 6 miles on dirt forest roads to get to the campsites, that sometimes, after a very heavy rain, are closer to warzone pothole fields than roads. The Trophy goes in and out just fine, even fully loaded on street tires. I have had no problems keeping up with the adventure bikes . . . unless they head for the trails. That is where I stop following, find a twisty piece of pavement, and put a big grin on my face!   :152:
Oooo, that's cool. I want one! . . . what's it do?

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 09:53:20 pm »
*Originally Posted by bigcountry [+]
Thanks, Crop.  I didn't introduce yet as I am not an owner.   I truly like the Trophy and I won't take it off road.   I think I may be doing alot of long distance riding and thought it might be better over the long haul for that.  I did do 16 hours straight on my Tiger/over 1000 miles? didn't think about iron butt at the time.   Anyway, thanks for the feedback.  I was worried about my leg length.    Cheers BC

Stating the obvious, but if you intend doing a lot of long distance work, the wind and weather protection on the Trophy will be a godsend

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 10:14:34 pm »
BC,
It sounds like my first ride on the Trophy was a bit like yours. It was so good I actually laughed out loud. I haven't intentionally taken the Trophy of road but last summer on a trip to Quebec
http://goo.gl/maps/SYw1H
there was a lot of construction and numerous times the road ended and essentially became an off road experience. The TTSE preformed admirably.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch