Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy's Short kickstand (Side Stand)  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Trophy's Short kickstand (Side Stand)
« on: February 23, 2015, 01:21:16 pm »
Anyone notice that the kickstand on the Trophy is a little short. I've noticed that the Trophy's lean angle is much more than any other bike that I've owned, including Goldwing GL1800's. Seems to me that if it was just a little longer, it would make it easier to upright a heavier bike. I don't have any problems with the weight of the bike or lifting it on or off either the center stand or the kick stand, but doing a search on kick stands here on the form, nothing came up about it being too short, but a few came up about the weight of the bike being lifted off the stand. I'd personally like the bike a little more upright when on the stand, but doing a Google search all I could find was pads that go on the bottom of the stand that makes the foot print larger so that it wont sink in sand or soft asphalt. I was hoping that there would be something out there similar, but maybe 5/8" to 3/4" thick to give it a little more upright lift and less lean angle, but these pads that I found are thin and only enlarge the footprint of the stand. I might just try to make my own.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:23:47 pm by Zebraranger »

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
Re: Trophy's Short kickstand (Side Stand)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 01:30:59 pm »
Hi

I has a similar issue with a BMW R1200 GS. IN that case I made an alloy plate to both give a larger pad to the lower of the stand and as it was made of 10mm plate made the stand longer and the bike lean less.

I have not noticed an issue with the TT but would not hesitate making one for it. Just purchase 10mm Alloy in my case it was a 60mm wide alloy billet 10mm thick. I then just cut the shape I wanted with a hack saw and finished with a file. I attached it by drilling two holes in the currnet foot and then tapping thread in the alloy plate. Two small bolts 4mm thread then held the new plate to the stand foot.

I did not look to buy on but as you say you cant find a supplier. So consider making one as described. :062:
It wasn't me !!

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:12:44 pm »
I agree that the sidestand could be a bit longer, but I lowered the bike which mitigated that for me..  I almost always use a pad I carry with me under the stand
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:01:32 pm »
Note that the Owner's Handbook states :
Note :
When using the side stand, always turn the handlebars fully to the left
and leave the motorcycle in first gear.
Having the bars in any other position will affect the lean angle of the bike  :169:

Differences in suspension settings that alter the height of the bike
will also have an effect on the lean angle of the bike when the side stand is used,
so take all of this into account before making any modifications  :084:   :028:

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:20:04 pm »
I would be very careful if I were you. I parked my bike on the side stand the ground made it slightly more upright than on flat ground but it was by no means vertical. I rocked it from side to side to make sure it was stable as I walked away from it it toppled over onto a car parked next to me did allot of damage to the car but thankfully the bike came of well. The only cause me and my mate could see to this accident was fuel flowing from the left hand saddlebag fuel tank to the right hand one that just tipped the weight enough for it to fall to the right so I think the side stand has been designed short enough to stop this happening. Now when using the side stand I always park so it is leaning well over on the stand

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 04:47:57 pm »
not found it any worse than Pan
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:10:31 pm »
Interesting.  I have exactly the opposite observation.  Whenever I pull over on anything other than an absolutely level surface I have a concern the sidestand makes the bike sit too upright causing me worries the bike can be easily tipped.  I actually search out surfaces that increase the lean of the bike.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:47:48 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Interesting.  I have exactly the opposite observation.  Whenever I pull over on anything other than an absolutely level surface I have a concern the sidestand makes the bike sit too upright causing me worries the bike can be easily tipped.  I actually search out surfaces that increase the lean of the bike.

+1
Serial BMW rider