The greatest accessory... EVER! by brenchley
[Today at 07:52:36 pm]

shudder upon deceleration by Coconut
[Today at 07:29:11 pm]

Wishbone Replacement by janfmiller
[Today at 06:55:02 pm]

Strebel Air Horn installed! by Coconut
[Today at 06:03:04 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Time for an LED lighting experiment  (Read 22280 times)

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Time for an LED lighting experiment
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:43:26 pm »
Hi All,

well time for a little experiment. Found these products while browsing the other day offering an LED headlight upgrade for the Trophy headlights.

These provide an H4 hi/low bulb with allegedly 2,600 lumen (compared to around 700 for a typical halogen bulb) and around 30,000 hour life (compared to around 400 with a typical halogen)

Not 100% sure they will fit as there is a fan and set of cooling fins on the back of the bulb along with a small LED driver block. Fully prepared that I will have to return them as being too big but nothing ventured, nothing gained! :001:

I will report back along with hopefully some pictures to demonstrate any issues fitting but hopefully, just how much additional light they give off! Wish me luck!

Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Time for an LED lighting experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:55:30 pm »
It will be interesting as I think some one else  tried and they melted?

Keep us informed

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:01:44 pm »
Eek!

Do you recall what melted?? The bulbs, the plastic of the reflectors? The rubber boots?

The last item, the boots, I certainly think may have to be left off to allow air to the cooling fins...

I will study the service manual before I start to see what might be the result of leaving the boots off.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:09:30 pm »
I think Avtinkler tried one lot, but the low beam LEDs did not last that long.  I have the previous version just like he tried, am fitting shortly to try them out. I was leaving it, but one of the OEM low beams has gone so time to try. Does the base get fitted separately, then the main body inserted and twisted to lock in? This makes it easier to fit.  It looks unsure from the pictures I have seen. A rubber boot trimmed to go over the thicker body to allow for the main unit to be put in place is all that is needed for mine, sealing the back of the reflector from dust but allowing the fan clear air. Heat in the reflector should be ok as less than standard wattage.

I should have it done in a day or so after doing some other things. If it does not work out back in with halogens.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:42:01 pm »
It is a single unit with the fan and fins permanently connected to the bulb section which may make fitting difficult for sure...

At the moment I am not sure if I will go at it from underneath or take the mirror pods and top side fairings off to get at them from behind... That would be the longer option but potentially the easiest with regard to finding a home for the LED driver and the cabling.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:46:14 pm »
I find the headlights on the Trophys one of its best features. Its the first bike I have had who's headlights where better than my cars.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »
They definitely are great. If the LEDs don't work out it is back to decent H4 bulbs. The +50 bulbs I tried burnt out really quickly, so I would try some better brand name ones or track down the OEM Osram Bilux bulbs as they have lasted very well with good definition and output.

*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
I find the headlights on the Trophys one of its best features. Its the first bike I have had who's headlights where better than my cars.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:45:57 pm »
What concerns me is using a different light source to the one the Lights were designed to use - I'm thinking about Focal Points here.

With my First Generation Trophies I have experimented with up-grading the pitiful Headlights on the MkI and the not too bad but could be brighter Headlights on the MkII with HID Conversion Kits.

In both cases the Light output was much greater with deeper penetration but because the lenses and reflectors were not compatible with the slightly different focal point of the HID light source the amount of "stray" light was off-putting and would increase the potential to dazzle the drivers of oncoming traffic. Also the performance was not so good in odd lighting situations such as Dusk. After an year in both bikes I reverted to the Standard H4 Units and augmented the Lighting with auxiliary LED lighting instead.

As it stands I'm very happy with the Standard TTSE Lighting, at the moment .... but as the H4 units are now 2.5 years/9.6K miles old they could probably do with replacing as they've been working for approximately 320 hours or so and are not as bright as new ones would be..

I'll look forward to hearing how these LEDs work out
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)