Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Sat nav wiring  (Read 12997 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Sat nav wiring
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
Hi All

The dealer fitted the triumph Sat Nav mount and I tried to fit the electronics over the weekend (only picked the bike up on Friday).  I downloaded the Triumph installation note but of course it just says remove this as in the another technical note etc.  I looked for the sat nav audio plug but could not find it.  But I did not take off the screen and dashboard.  I just took the glove box off and tried looking and feeling in front of that.  At the moment the wire trails down in front of the dash.  I have 'stuck' the cable to follow the instrument ring so it is not in the way but this is not a permanent solution.  I needed the GPS for the IAM route on Sunday.

Has anyone out there wired in the gps and if so what do I have to do.  I was a bit worried when the technical note says "do not use these bolts again"?  And is it possible to get just the audio plug without having to take everything off.

Thanks

John

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Re: Sat nav wiring
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »
Hi,

When I talked to my dealer about fitting the satnav stuff he said that it required removal of the windscreen and front fairing. This was why I specced the bike to have it fitted before collection, so that they could fit the kit while the bike was being built. In the end they did not get the bracket from Triumph in time so built the bike without it (as well as without the R&G kit which was in transit). This, plus the fact that it was sleeting on collection day made me delay picking the bike up for another week. So in the end they had to take the bike apart anyway (at their expense!)

I think you may have to bite the bullet and accept that you will have to take the front of the bike apart  :003:

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline clarge

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Qualicum Beach
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »
you need to remove wind screen, signal, plastic under mirrors, plastic signals sit in, front dash, gps mount. First time it took mr an 1hr. second time 15 min. Connector is behind left front plastic that holds signal.

If you are worried about the bolts, apply thread lock to them before assembly. My hardest part was removal of the mount as this needs to be done to route the wires.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »
Hi clarge,

Next time you do the fairing removal could you take pics of the process. I am likely to need to remove these bits to wire in auxiliary lights, uprated horns and various other gizmos in the future so would appreciate a heads-up on the process.

Thanks,

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
You shouldn't need to remove the fairing to fit the GPS although I did as I wasn't sure of the procedure. It is fairly simple though, you need to remove the central tank cover(four screws) and the plastic piece by the engine (not sure what it is called but it just pulls off) as there are fixings behind it. All the other fixings are visible and can be removed with the Allen Key supplied in the tool roll.
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
John 348

Fitting and wiring instrustions for Sat Nav mount:

http://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9828009-EN.pdf

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:55:07 PM »
Guys:
If he already has the bracket fitted (it sounds like he does) then all he needs to do is find the connections for the electric supply and the 3.5 jack for the audio to go in.  Can he do this by just taking off the signal pod?  Is the wiring right behind that?  Is the removal of the shield etc. all done so the bracket can be fitted?  His is already on.
OP- you may also need the Triumph wire adapter to make the connection for the power although you probably could make your own!

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
If the bracket has been fitted already but not the wiring loom then the screen and dashboard have to come off because the wiring loom should be routed down through the bracket. It is utterly pointless fitting the bracket without the loom as you just have to take it off again to fit the wire.

The connector should be accessible through the indicator pod if you are lucky however when I did mine I couldn't identify the connector due to it being dark in there and full of wires and all sorts so I took the fairing off. In theory if you know what you are looking for you should be able to connect up through the pod.

If the loom is fitted with a blade fuse route that into the back of the mirror so if the fuse blows you just need to flip the mirror out to change it rather than dismantling the indicator.
Might as well as wish we had.