Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Engine Clatter  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Engine Clatter
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:12:05 pm »
I'm fairly new to the forum and I recently purchased a new to me 2013 Trophy SE with 4500 miles on it. I purchased it from a Triumph dealer and they said that all the TSB"s and recalls have been done, the 500 mile service was done and that they changed the oil and fluids on the bike. I'm not all that familiar with the Trophy as the only other Triumphs that I've owned was a 2013 Bonneville and a 2006 Sprint. My question is, is it normal for the Trophy triple to clatter and sound like a diesel engine? If not, could this be that top end noise that there was a recall on. There are no issues with the bike, it runs like a dream, but I'd like to know so I can have piece of mind.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:21:36 pm by Zebraranger »

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
Re: Engine Clatter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:01:12 am »
Mine sounds like a Diesel too.  I'm at 8000 miles.  It has sounded the same since new.  You might compare yours to  new 2014 or 2015 and see if there is much difference.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:15:38 am »
Your dealership should very easily be able to confirm that the head replacement recall has been done for your bike to eliminate that worry. If it hasn't then definitely get it done and the dealership will arrange that although they should have checked all that before selling it.

I can't say that mine clatters.... it is not sewing machine smooth, it is a triple after all, but I wouldn't say it sounds like a diesel.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Abner62

• Trophy Member
  • Abner62
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Morayfield
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 07:59:05 am »
My2013 has an intermittent rattling on start up that lasts about 1 second while the engine is turning over. It has 42,000 klms on the odometer and is just about to go out of warranty. Someone mentioned it could be the starter motor clutch. Can anyone enlighten me, could this be the problem; where is the started motor clutch located and is it a big job to replace if it is the problem?

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:09:27 am »
Engine noise is a real problem to quantify, what sounds noisy to one person is music to another.  Having come from riding Harley's my TTSE sounds sweet.  I know that if you think you can hear something inevitably you will hear it; and wonder why others don't hear what your hearing.

I took the line, after many miles on Harleys, keep riding 'till it stops then you'll know you have a problem.

I guess the sound of a triple can be in the class of character, if all else fails turn up the radio.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:24:15 am »
Zebraranger,

The Cyclinder head "Recall" that has been referred to was NOT a "Recall",
it was an "Upgrade" that was offered to owners who reported excessive top end noise.

So although your Trophy may have had all the "Recalls" done,
it may not have had the Cycliner Head "Upgrade",
and you should enquire with your Dealer who will be able to check the records and let you know.
If it hasn't been done, and you are not happy with the top end noise,
then you should consider asking for it to be done.

74 pages of imformation on this here ! : Engine Upgrade email from Triumph

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29:45 am »
Abner62,

It is quite normal for there to be some "clatter" type noise when first starting,
and this is usually assocoaited with the hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner mechanism,
which becomes fully pressurised with oil once the engine starts, when the noise should stop.

More information on this here : Cam Chain Tensioner

I haven't heard of anyone complaining of a clatter type noise
from the starter motor, but I suppose it's possible !

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:37:10 am by Coconut »

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:35:55 am »
Yes they all sound like a diesel compared to a Japanese 4 but compared to a Harley they sound like an electric motor so it is hard to judge your idea of noisy just take it to the dealer and ask to hear another one. It is definitely a noisier engine than the 1050.

"My2013 has an intermittent rattling on start up that lasts about 1 second while the engine is turning over. It has 42,000 klms on the odometer and is just about to go out of warranty. Someone mentioned it could be the starter motor clutch. Can anyone enlighten me, could this be the problem; where is the started motor clutch located and is it a big job to replace if it is the problem?"

That will be the cam chain tensioner THEY ALL DO THAT SIR

tweedy-bunch