Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How to change the oil  (Read 11963 times)

Offline DataDavid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE ABS
  • City / Town: Florida
How to change the oil
« on: February 27, 2015, 01:13:32 am »
I realize this may be a simple question and it may be covered somewhere in the forums but I haven't been able to find it.  What all is required when changing the oil on a Trophy?  I thought I read somewhere there were two crush washer to be replaced.  Also what panels (if any) have to be removed?

Thanks

David
Cushman Motor Scooter, Yamaha 60, Suzuki 380, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300, Honda Goldwing, and finally a Triumph Trophy!

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Re: How to change the oil
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 02:08:58 am »
No panels need be removed.  The oil filter on the left side can be a little tricky to get a good grip on but you can do it.  I use a K&N filter with the welded on nut (14 mm).  Makes that part easy.
The sump bolt is right on the bottom where it should be.  8 mm hex key will fit that. I don't always replace the crush washer.  Only one for engine oil.
One possible challenge is the R&G adventure bars. If installed the left side will have to come off to get the filter out.  A few extra minutes is all.
Pretty straight forward all in all.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:11:17 pm by BigD »

Offline traveler46

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Iowa
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:59:49 am »
I have changed the oil and filter on every bike I have owned over the past 45 years and 3/4 million miles and have never replaces the crush washer and have never had a leak. Barry

Offline DataDavid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE ABS
  • City / Town: Florida
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:20:51 pm »
Thanks.  I appreciate the info.

Big D and NavyDad,
I was born and grew up in Ohio.  Never did like the cold so I am staying put in Florida.

Thanks again for the information.

David
Cushman Motor Scooter, Yamaha 60, Suzuki 380, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300, Honda Goldwing, and finally a Triumph Trophy!

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:27:57 am »
I totally agree with traveler 46, never changed a crush washer in my life and never lost a drop, that's just crazy  :125:
Trophy Tom

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 09:19:00 pm »
Cost has nothing to do with it at all. There are others that also change the crush washer I'm sure, and if it makes you feel better than do it can't hurt anything right?
Trophy Tom

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 12:32:23 am »
what is the torque spec for the drain plug? please......thank you

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 02:39:12 am »
*Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
Call me crazy, but washers are cheap. Drop $1000 on a seat or some other farkle, but piss and moan about buying a maintenance item for pennies. Sheesh.
It's not the money, it's more about the inconvenience of buying an unnecessary part.

If I notice a leak (which I never have) then I would bother to buy and change such. But I never had that problem.

The books tell you to change these things so the dealers and such can make some money. There's really no other reason, IMAO.

BTW, I am still using the original crush washers in my 1971 BMW R75/5. They too say to install a new ones at every change, which includes both the filler plug and the drain plug washers. That's 8  total at around five bucks each the last time I checked (years ago) which means at least $40.00 bucks extra from every person who does all the recommended  oil changes (engine, rear drive, drive shaft and gear box) each time.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch