Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First service today  (Read 2139 times)

Offline HansTT

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT ABS
First service today
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:29:00 pm »
Today i brought the Trophy to the dealer for the 1000 km checkup. All went well until the moment the engineer was finished and wanted to take the Trophy for a testride. It won't fire up!

After a long search it seemed that the cable to the starting engine was disconnected...

Has anyone heard from such a problem before?

I consider myself lucky that it didn't happen earlier :153:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: First service today
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 12:30:13 am »
This has happened to a few of us..... The connector for the wire to the starter solenoid is quite easily dislodged when removing the battery if you are not careful....
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:21:04 am »
But there is no need to remove the battery at the 1000 km service.  And even if there was you would think a Triumph tech could remove the battery without pulling the connector.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:48:52 am »
*Originally Posted by HansTT [+]
Today i brought the Trophy to the dealer for the 1000 km checkup. All went well until the moment the engineer was finished and wanted to take the Trophy for a testride. It won't fire up!

After a long search it seemed that the cable to the starting engine was disconnected...

Has anyone heard from such a problem before?

I consider myself lucky that it didn't happen earlier :153:
I have had the wire pull out to the start switch, from the left side starter relay coil. Others have had it pull out from the start switch itself. And even some others here have had one of the top  solenoid wires come loose and IIRC, one had a bad connection at the starter motor itself.

Other than for very last problem, there is an easy temporary fix to start the engine. Be sure bike is in neutral, ignition is on, and remove the left connection on top of the starter solenoid (just in front of the battery +). The right  top wire on the solenoid must still be connected. Run a clip lead to the starter solenoid (where the wire was removed on the left  side top of the starter solenoid) to the battery +. The starter motor will then start the bike, without using the start switch.

Even without a clip lead the screwdriver shaft in the tool kit can be used to go from the battery Positive (+) to the solenoid in place of the clip lead. Or even from the battery positive direct to the solenoid contact on the left side of the solenoid which goes direct to the starter motor.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline HansTT

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT ABS
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:43:43 am »
Oke, seems that it's not a unique issue. Offcourse there was no need to remove the battery, but due to the start failure, the tech had to figure out what the reason was. I think that the this cable wasn't fixed properly fromout the factory. It was pure coincidental that the bike refuses to start at the dealers.

But good to read there's an easy way to be able to start the engine without using the starter switch.

In spite of this minor incident, i really love to ride this bike. It's comfortable, fast and it offers a great protection to wind and rain. For me it's the first bike with such a lot of options, i was used to ride racingbikes and allroads.