Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Filling the tank!  (Read 5154 times)

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Filling the tank!
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »
I haven't done it a lot yet, but when I fill the tank there is a plastic device in the neck of the tank which stops me inserting the filler properly. I have to hold the filler vertically to make the fuel flow without  spraying all over the bike. Do others have the same issue, and what is the function of the plastic device in the neck of the tank? This plastic thingy isn't mentioned in the Owners Handbook!

:435:

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
Re: Filling the tank!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »
Thank you for having the stones to mention this.  I thought it was just me and I did not know how to fill a gas tank after all these years!  I also hit the plastic gizmo with the pump neck and sprayed some gas about.  Now, I run the pump at half speed with no problems. 

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:33 PM »
noticed the same thing on my test ride on saturday.....on other bikes this gizmo is to stop the careless puncturing/damaging the plastic tank with vigorous insertion. don't know if its the same with the trophy but only thing i can think of. Mine is on order now and can't wait to have to do this  :046:

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
chrisb1!

You are probably right! This is the first bike I've ever owned with a plastic tank and it would make sense to protect it from 'vigorous insertion'! However, they could have protected it in a way that allows you to put the filler actually in to the tank! Does anyone know if it can be removed?

:183:

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »
We all know that vigorous insertion can lead to problems.  I'm with you.  I want to remove this protective device though and take my chances and insert vigorously.   :172:

Offline TT13

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Constitution Hill
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »
Believe the cage is there to stop over filling - you rest the fuel gun nozzle on the top of the cage and once the fuel has reached the bottom of the cage and tripped off the gun it leaves a small air expansion chamber in the top - so if you leave your bike out in the hot sun and the fuel heats up and expands it does not buckle/bow out the sides of the tank causing damage

Offline Jccjr50

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Dripping springs
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:15:02 AM »
I fill the tank by holding the nozzle and let it rest perpendicular to the plastic stop in filler hole. Turn on full blast and let it fill. When I finish filling the nozzle turns off automatically. It took a while to figure out, but works great.

Offline RAS

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »
I reckon TT13 has got it spot on. You just have to hold the nozzle resting against the cage and when the tank is filled to the correct level the fuel is shut off, preventing over filling.
I wondered what it was for and came to the same conclusion after discounting the notion that it could be an anti miss-fueling device to stop some muppet putting diesel in their bike!!! :745: :745: