Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Daytona Bike Week  (Read 4759 times)

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
Daytona Bike Week
« on: March 02, 2015, 05:26:14 pm »
Anyone on here going to Daytona Bike week? I'm not usually the rally type of person, but my brother insisted we needed to go at least once so we are heading down. Will be leaving Louisiana around March 8th and spending a couple of days there and then driving down to Key West and then on back to Louisiana up the eastern coast side.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
Re: Daytona Bike Week
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:24:44 pm »
Went quite a few years ago! What an eye opener. Saw more bikes on trailers than I care to remember! Most of the bikes are only ridden once there, what a waste of motorcycling. Still great amount of bikes and scenery to look at!  Plus the beer is cheap. lol :821:

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:07:20 pm »
I just noticed I inadvertently wrote "drive down" instead of "ride down". I'm with you gfxmonkey on the part of trailering bikes. Kind of defeats the whole ideal of being a bike thing. I understand the guys who are doing the custom bikes and showing them off for trophies, but I think too many of the people at these rallies are there just to say they have a bike. Every trip I ever made has always started from my house and back on the bike. The only time I've ever trailered one was to take it to the dealership to trade it in on the new one and take the new one home. :152:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:03:22 pm »
*Originally Posted by atvtinker [+]
I just noticed I inadvertently wrote "drive down" instead of "ride down". I'm with you gfxmonkey on the part of trailering bikes. Kind of defeats the whole ideal of being a bike thing. I understand the guys who are doing the custom bikes and showing them off for trophies, but I think too many of the people at these rallies are there just to say they have a bike. Every trip I ever made has always started from my house and back on the bike. The only time I've ever trailered one was to take it to the dealership to trade it in on the new one and take the new one home. :152:
I'm with you on riding the bike both there and back atvtinker.  I hadn't given much thought to going because my daughter comes home from college for Spring Break on March 14.  Still a quick ride over might be fun.  How long do you anticipate being on the road, i.e. when do you project returning?  BTW I would think hotel accommodations would be in short supply given the time of year.  Have you already booked?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline snarl

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ledyard, CT
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:04 pm »
Put your bike on a trailer and pull it behind a car or truck?  :435:

I'm confused . . . why would you want to do that?
Oooo, that's cool. I want one! . . . what's it do?

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:46:07 pm »
*Originally Posted by snarl [+]
Put your bike on a trailer and pull it behind a car or truck?  :435:

I'm confused . . . why would you want to do that?
:008: :008: The ONLY time in 40+ years of riding that I had my bike trailered was when I had a flat out in the middle of nowhere.  The tire was shredded and there was no repairing it.  Fortunately I have AAA's long distance tow/trailer plan for just such instances.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 02:57:36 am »
We are leaving this Sunday and plan on being back by the next Sunday. Usually are trips are longer than that, but we decided since both of our schedules are kind of crazy this year that we would break it up into 2 trips. Thinking of making the next half to Big Bend country maybe in October. Probably going to be in Daytona Tuesday and Wednesday and then down to the Keys and back up the east side coming home.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:27 am »
Snarl, is that a pic of you on the Dragon in your sig? I have one like that, but I'm on my Vision. :152:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

tweedy-bunch