Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: "Batery Low message"  (Read 2248 times)

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
"Batery Low message"
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
Hi guys... I have a question... :430:

I have experienced several times to press the start button, the starting motor not moving and the message "batery low" on the screen. I press again the start button immediately and it works perfectly and the bike starts. What happens?

Today I have checked the batery as soon as I have arrived home (10 minutes after receiving the aforementioned message) with a volt meter and I have got 13.5 volts. That means that the batery is in quite good conditions. :005:

Does anybody have an explanation to this "experience"?   :187: :187:

Thanks in advance.

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: "Batery Low message"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
I turned the ignition on and relatively quickly got the battery low but I did have heated grips and heated seat on.  It fired up easily and immediately the warning went off and the radio came back on.  Obviously the threshold on the radio is set quite high.

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by atuti [+]

I have experienced several times to press the start button, the starting motor not moving and the message "batery low" on the screen. I press again the start button immediately and it works perfectly and the bike starts. What happens?

Today I have checked the batery as soon as I have arrived home (10 minutes after receiving the aforementioned message) with a volt meter and I have got 13.5 volts. That means that the batery is in quite good conditions. :005:

Thanks in advance.
Several of us have seen that warning but the part that concerns me is that your starter motor does not "move".  I would get the dealer on this.  And, if you can load test the battery try and do so.  Maybe you have what appears to be a good battery but under load the voltage is dropping to low. 

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:37:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by atuti [+]

Thanks in advance.

Atuti

Take the bike to the dealer and ask them to do a drop test on the battery. Using a volt meter will only measure the voltage in the battery, this could only be surface voltage and will not check the strength of the battery. A drop test is effectively a controlled and measured dead short across the battery and will tell the condition of the battery.
Make sure they don't fob you off this is not a massive job to check and will give you piece of mind. :821:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
Thank you all, comrades. I will pass by the dealer just to be more confident.

:821: :821:

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chaos [+]
Atuti

Take the bike to the dealer and ask them to do a drop test on the battery. Using a volt meter will only measure the voltage in the battery, this could only be surface voltage and will not check the strength of the battery. A drop test is effectively a controlled and measured dead short across the battery and will tell the condition of the battery.
Make sure they don't fob you off this is not a massive job to check and will give you piece of mind. :821:

Chaos

Ahh a drop test.  You British.  Load test here in the states! :001:   (And "fob you off" is a lot nicer way of saying what we would say!)

tweedy-bunch