* Recent New Topics

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Stebel Nautilus Horn fitted  (Read 10232 times)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Stebel Nautilus Horn fitted
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:25:13 pm »
With the 10K Service on my recently acquired '12 TTSE postponed for a fortnight I thought I'd get on with fitting the Nautilus horn instead.

Fairly straightforward, once the RH side of the fairing etc is removed. Took the OE Horn off and tucked the wiring up behind the lower RH corner of the Radiator as I intended to fit the new Horn Relay to the lower RH Radiator Fan mounting bolt which seems to be long enough for the job and sufficiently out of the way to not require extra weather protection (I could be wrong about this and if I am I'll let you know).

The Horn Power (12 volt) supply was taken straight from the Positive Terminal of the Battery, through a 20 Amp Fuse then followed the Starter Motor Lead down the RH side of the Fuel Tank and Radiator (following the original horn wiring) and then up behind the Radiator as described above.

I hung the Horn from the R&G Adventure Bar mounting top bar using a 16mm electrical P Clip and a short (locally manufactured) right-angled steel bracket with the Air Trumpet outlets pointing slightly down and towards the Right.
The Earth wire I attached to the Spreader Bar securing bolt. I also fitted the Air Snorkel and routed the tube up and around the Horn to ensure a clean air-supply for the compressor, tie-wrapped this gently to the radiator Top Hose, just under the lower RH edge of the Fuel Tank

Connected it all up following the Instructions included with the Horn (Yes, it worked and HOW !)
Refitted the Fairing and found no contact points or possible areas of concern. Just need to Road Test it now to see just how weather-proof the installation will be...
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Re: Stebel Nautilus Horn fitted
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:42:22 pm »
That is exactly where I mounted mine. Rubber mounted 'P' clamps on the R&G spreader bar.  Though as I remember it, my horn is turned 90 degrees from yours and it is pretty tight in there.  Next time I have the bike blown apart I just might turn the horn like yours.  The bottom of mine is close to touching other components down there.  It looks as if you have a bit more clearance than I.
Thanks

Offline Doctor46

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE Launch Editon
  • City / Town: Lowestoft
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:45:27 pm »
Gordon, cracking looking job. A few questions. How long did the job take? Where did you get the horn from and, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

I had cause to use my horn a couple of days ago. Suffice to say the MP3 through the speakers was louder!   :230:

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:30:49 am »
I got mine off eBay, about £35 I think 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-black-for-cars-and-motorcycles-extremely-loud-/301570766784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463704b7c0

Having the R&G Adventure Bars already fitted (by me) was a big help - so I knew how to take the Fairing etc off easily.

Only took me a couple of hours - but I was "planning on the go" and deciding on and manufacturing the short bracket extension took a couple of mugs of tea and a small Hamlet or two...

My Triumph Tech' was impressed with my Mods when he did the 10K Service the other day....even complimented me on my neatness.
The Stebel Nautilus works a treat and I don't ever feel embarrassed using it - like I did with the OE Horn

Cheers

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:40:54 am »
Gordon,

Is it much louder than standard and does it get the required attention from other road users?  :158:

Freeway Phil

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:00:46 am »
Freeway Phil,

Louder ? Yes. How much so I can't say as I have "misplaced" my dB meter (moved house, still not found the dB meter...)

and Yes, when I press the Horn Button all those "backs of heads" I used to see from Car Drivers looking in the wrong direction suddenly become "faces making eye-contact".

It's not 100% idiot-proof though....there's always one muppet who looks, sees and pulls-out anyway..

I got mine (via eBay) from www.valkmotive.com. Other choices and styles are available - it's just getting them inside the New Trophy Fairing that poses a problem but the Stebel Nautilus does fit if you move away from the OE Horn mounting point

:821:

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:59:03 am »
Gordon,

cheers mate.  Nice response  :152:  :046: :152:

God this forum  is costing me a bloody fortune.   Now I add new horn to my wish list. 

Not sure if I can hard wire any more auxiliary items to my battery.   Already got GPS, communication and Ultimate battery charger bolted on to the positive terminal.   

Freeway Phil 

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 10:17:18 am »
Phil,

I power my TomTom SatNav from the Aux Power socket in the Glove Box using a double USB adaptor - I don't use the Audio System at all so that is totally disconnected (and removed).

IMO the most practical way to charge the Battery is via the Power Socket on the LHS of the Engine - does away with all the extra wiring to the Battery +ve terminal and leaving plenty of space for the Horn Relay Supply.

You might need to get to get a DIN output lead for your charger (as I did with mine) but I'm running an LiFePo4 Battery which just doesn't seem to need charging (so far). That's only been fitted since 9th January 2015 and done 1800 miles.

It's a pity we have to Upgrade ANY items on the New Trophy - with a bit more thought and consultation Triumph really could get things right first time - but that would take away half the fun of it, for me in any case..

:821:

tweedy-bunch