Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Adding brake lights to the top box  (Read 4795 times)

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
Adding brake lights to the top box
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:02:56 pm »
Has anyone done this?
I collect my new Trophy on Saturday, and am getting rid of my old BMW K1200RS with a Givi top box which has built in brake lights. Friends have reported that these are very effective and I would like something similar for the Trophy.
It seems that the simplest way would be to cut the power lead to the top box mount, rewire it to the brake lights and then you could wire some new lights in to the power socket in the box.
Of course this would prevent use of that socket for charging, but that would not bother me.
Alternatively, when I had a quick look at the plug arrangement on the rack, it seems that there may be 2 redundant pin locations? If so could they be utilised with wiring to drive brake lights?
My BMW also had an HID dipped beam and Rigid Industries LED spot lights (awesome!), but I will wait to experience the Trophy lights before deciding whether similar mods are needed.
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Adding brake lights to the top box
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:09:32 am »
Hi shaunwitts,

There's a separate Topic about adding lights to the Top Box here :
Adding LED Tail & Brake lights to the TopBox
although no-one seems to have achieved it, but went on to discuss other optiions.

There's also my own HOW TO : Add rear LED Stalk lights article
where you might find some of the information to be useful,
including Reply #33 by Member Neil_AU who has fitted "Admore" lights to his TopBox without any issues .
You could send him a "PM" and ask how he completed the electrical connections  :028:

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:33:23 pm by Coconut »

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:21:30 am »
This is something I am also considering for when travelling on Motorways etc as well as an "Effin' Big (24 LED) Rear Fog Light !"

Certain vehicles always seem to travel far too close to other vehicles on Motorways, even motorcycles, especially in bad weather... So you"drop back" to increase the Safety Margin, half a dozen idiots will fill the gap you create.

Fitting the "EBRFL" to both my First Generation Trophies, albiet on the Rear Fender Extender, has certainly made following vehicles "Keep their Distance" making me feel a lot safer into the bargain..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 11:28:12 am »
One thing to remember when fitting extra lights such as the EBRFL,
is to make sure that the BRAKE light does not become LESS noticable
because it is drowned out by the other lights -
so consider upgrading / adding to the Brake light too !
( Such as with extra Brake Lights on the Top Box )

You need following motorists to KNOW that you have hit the brakes
and are slowing down, to reduce the risk of them running into the back of you  :169:

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:19:53 pm by Coconut »

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 03:55:46 pm »
Agreed coconut...

When it comes to it I will most certainly put the EBRFL on the Fender Extender (below the Number Plate) and put the extra Brake Lights on the Top Box

The photos attached are of the Installation on my MkII 900 Trophy - unfortunately the phone camera makes them look whiter when illuminated than they really are... Pity I didn't take any shots with the Brake Light ON but I have been reliably informed that the EBRL is OK and does not swamp the Brake Lights

:821:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:01:07 pm »
Looks Good !  :028:

My previous Trophy 900 was BRG too - Photo of it in the Forum's History of the Triumph Trophy Page !

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:19:27 pm by Coconut »

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 05:24:59 pm »
Thanks coconut,

She looks (and runs) much better now that I've owned her for 4 years.... and got all her the Routine Maintenance and Servicing up to date..

A Labour of Love...

I'd quite like to have the TTSE in proper BRG, not that Forest Green colour they used on the Sprints...

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 06:51:20 am »
Thanks for the replies. I thought the conversation from the original post had dried up, so I started another.

I have identified from http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_catalogue.php?model_id=621900 the part number of the top box sub-harness (PFKL2061817) for only £28.13, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent part for the other half of the circuit within the top box.
It looks like a 2nd harness could just plug into the spare locations in the rack connector and can be wired into whatever is needed. In fact as the existing harness must provide a return path, with two more connections one could add both tail lights and brake lights.

Of course there are many possibilities for the actual lights, though I doubt it would be easy to acheive the unobtrusive look of the Givi arrangement. However, first I would like to sort out the wiring to hopefully retain the ease of top box removal & refitting etc.
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

tweedy-bunch