Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Motorcycle Warranty  (Read 5577 times)

Offline saotto

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Rancho Cucamonga
Motorcycle Warranty
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:34:07 pm »
I have 20,000 miles and not quite 2 years old and wanted to know if I should pick up the extended warranty. Ive never had a problem with the bike. :002:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Motorcycle Warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:38:28 pm »
Like any insurance an extended warranty is a waste of money until you need it!

Only you can answer if the peace of mind an extended warranty will give is worth the cost in advance of a problem and how likely you think a problem is to occur.

Personally I think you are better off putting a monthly figure aside into an account. That way, if the worst happens you have some money aside to pay for it and if all goes well you have a greater deposit to pay for your new Trophy in years to come.

The biggest word of caution I would advise is that most extended warranties I have seen have so many exclusions that even if you do have a problem you often don't get a payout!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:11:29 pm by cropbiker »
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:03:15 pm »
In all my years of car and motorcycle ownership I've only purchased one extended vehicle warranty.  I paid quite a bit to extend the warranty on my Corvette to 6 years 60,000.  The car is now 12 years old and obviously well beyond any kind of warranty.  I just now had to replace one window regulator (did it myself). Its the first trouble I had.  So all that money I spent on an extended warranty was a complete waste.   
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:19:52 pm »
Wise words :

The biggest word of caution I would advise is that most extended warranties I have seen have so many exclusions that even if you do have a problem you often don't get a payout!

Triumph don't do an Extended warranty for the Trophy  :110:

Check the small print of any Policy you are tempted to buy   :169:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:03:23 pm »
It would appear the gods are not fans of extended warranties! LOL :745: :745: :745:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 02:33:35 am »
I normally am not a fan of extended warranties and normally don't buy them. That being said, knowing how expensive the Honda Goldwing repair costs are, I purchased the Hondacare 3 year extended warranty for $475.00. when my Goldwing factory was gone. Good thing I did because twice the ECU had to be replaced at a cost each time of $1600. parts & labor. That $475. warranty saved me almost $3000. I too now own a 2013 Trophy SE with the two year factory warranty expiring in just 3 months. With the problems that the new model Trophy has experienced in its debut year of the 2013 model, I went to my Triumph dealer who is also a Honda dealer to inquire if Triumph offered an extended warrant like Honda offers. The price was $700. and I specifically asked if it was a 3rd party warranty or a Triumph warranty. He replied its not really a 3rd party warranty, its a company that Triumph has hired to manage their extended warranty program, I obviously left the dealer without buying the warranty.

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:42:14 am »
Forgot to add that I didn't have a problem purchasing the Hondacare 3 year extended warranty for the Goldwing because it was a Honda warranty offered by and backed by Honda at a very reasonable cost of $475. It was also bumper to bumper coverage except for expendables like light bulbs, brake pads, oil filters, spark plugs and such. I plan on calling Triumph USA in Atlanta tomorrow to get the low down from them.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:24:50 am »
I would be interested in the reply you receive. My brother is a Triumph dealer and his shop manager gave me the same information your dealer gave you.  Seems to me that no matter how you slice it it is a third-party warranty
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:42:48 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST