Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Faulty audio module  (Read 4392 times)

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
Faulty audio module
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:09:32 pm »
Well mine finally did it to me. :233: Cranked the bike Friday and everything was fine. Getting everything ready for my trip tomorrow and the bike is dead as a doorknob today. Now I know the best option is to pull the radio fuse, but did anyone figure out that if you turned off the radio before turning off the key if that worked from keeping it from draining the battery overnight? Got mine on the charger and got it cranked and turned off the radio and am going to let it stay on the charger for the night. But if it is going to keep doing it, then I just wanted to make sure that pulling the fuse will do it until I can get the software update done or the module changed.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Faulty audio module
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:43:40 am »
*Originally Posted by atvtinker [+]
Now I know the best option is to pull the radio fuse, but did anyone figure out that if you turned off the radio before turning off the key if that worked from keeping it from draining the battery overnight?
Okay, you have a dead battery--but how do you know it's from the radio module? How old is the battery? Has it been drained down before this?

I doubt that turning the radio off in advance will have any effect on the battery drain problem. The audio module fuse is not switched, it's hot all the time (ie, hot with ignition off). If you think you have the audio module drain problem, removing the fuse will be the only for sure way of getting rid of the problem for sure and quickly.

Next, get the audio module software update at your Triumph dealer.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:48:00 am »
Don, it wasn't the battery. It took a charge pretty easily and when I put a meter on it something was putting a good drain on it. I did eventually pull the radio fuse and the drain dropped to a trickle. I just wondered if I turned the radio off before turning off the bike if the module would actually be stuck or was it a software issue that the module didn't always recognize that the bike is off when the key is switched off. Oh well. Fixing to hit the road. Wish me luck? Lol!
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 11:54:25 am »
Atvtinker,

Recently read a thread on a problem with the Sirrus satellite radio and a software update that fixed the problem. https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,1905.63.html if you have not read it, check it out.

ZShyster

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 03:22:42 pm »
Don, it wasn't the battery. It took a charge pretty easily and when I put a meter on it something was putting a good drain on it. I did eventually pull the radio fuse and the drain dropped to a trickle.
How much current did it draw? Just curious.

Oh, and good luck on your trip!

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 01:29:10 am »
Don if I remember right it was like 2.7 amps. I just did a quick check then hurried up and pulled the fuse. So far it hasn't not cranked on the trip.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 05:41:45 am »
Don if I remember right it was like 2.7 amps. I just did a quick check then hurried up and pulled the fuse. So far it hasn't not cranked on the trip.
That sounds about what I would expect for such a problem. One of the reasons I asked was because once somebody here said the dealer told them the bike  was drawing 14 amps with the ignition off!   I had a hard time buying that was from the audio module being stuck on, sounded more like an alternator problem (shorted diode) to me.

But 2.7 amps I can buy and that will drain a battery quite fast too. BTW, I would think that would be difficult thing to check, in most cases. Did you have the ignition off when you checked, as you should?

I mean if the audio module is stuck on, I would think the problem would go away as soon as the fuse is removed and put back in.  Perhaps for weeks or longer. Which means to get a good test you have to have the key out and test for current across the audio fuse socket as the audio fuse is being removed. IOW, usually with such problems, you cannot get away with opening the circuit to test as that will usually make the problem go away (at least for a while, perhaps weeks, in most cases).

So I am curious what you did to get the 2.7 amp reading. Or were you lucky enough for the problem to stay even after you removed the fuse?

I have wondered why that wire isn't after the switch. IIRC, there are no radio memory issues even after the audio fuse (or even battery) is removed for quite a while.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 11:08:58 am »
Don, it went away as soon as I pulled the fuse for the radio. So I assume the radio might have some internal battery that holds voltage for a short while that holds settings and such. I'd be willing to bet that if you left the battery unhooked if would eventually lose all that info. I didn't check to see if the circuit actually opened after I pulled the fuse and put it back in as I was more worried about getting the battery charged back up and saving it. I'll see if I can do more with it later if I don't get the update done soon.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE