Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Engine Management Warning Light  (Read 10187 times)

Offline ISU Cyclone

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Algona, IA
Engine Management Warning Light
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:26:52 am »
This morning the weather was nice enough to ride to work. The road was a little frosty in spots but that was manageable. But as I pulled up to a stop light the engine just died like a total power outage. I hit the starter button and absolutely nothing happened. I waited a short time & it started right up. It did this 4 or 5 times on my way to work, a 20 mile ride. Once up to speed 20 mph or higher, the bike ran just fine.  Outdoor temperature was around 33F. So this afternoon I thought I'd take it out for a ride when it was warm & sunny, about 68F. When I 1st started out it ran fine. At about 7,000 rpm the Engine Management Warning Light came on briefly & the engine cut out. As soon as the light went off the engine ran fine. I rode about 30 miles & slowed as I came to a stop sign. As I did it died. I was able to start it a couple times but could never get it going fast enough to get back onto the highway. After a couple trials it was completely dead. The battery is fine. I am hauling it to my dealer in the morning. He suspected a bad kill switch or a potentiometer. I'll keep you all posted on what I find out. 
19?? Cushman scooter, 1971 Suzuki TC100, 1973 Kawasaki Mache II 350 Triple, 1974 Honda CL450, 1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo, 1980 Suzuki GS1000, 1983, 86, 87, 87, 91 Yamaha Venture, 2013 & 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (both blue)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Engine Management Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:09:35 am »
Hi ISU Cyclone,

Sorry to hear of this, I would be surprised if it was the Kill switch,
( but then I often get surprised these days ! ).

Your Dealer should be able to identify the fault quite quickly,
by analysis of any stored Fault Codes.

Cheers  :821:

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:45:18 am »
I've had problems with KILL Switches on my earlier First Generation Trophies but that is only to be expected on bikes that are 23 and 18 years old respectively....
Kill Switches are only supposed to be used in EMERGENCY situations, so with Normal use they will hardly ever get used.
With my MkI Trophy the contacts became "dirty" with a surface patina through lack of "Contact" and at certain Rev' (Vibration) point they would intermittently go "Open Circuit" causing an annoying judder or misfire.
Treatment with a proper Contact Cleaner and a bit of regular "Excercising" sorted the problem.
Now as a matter of course I exercise the Kill Switch a couple of times before every ride...

Hopefully, ISU Cyclone's problem will no doubt be resolved by a hook-up to the dealers Diagnostic system
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:46 am »
If you press the scroll rocker up and press the display select button at the same time, hold them and then turn on the key the fault codes will be displayed on the dash.
Cheers,
Ken

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:24:40 am »
That's really useful to know - not heard of that before  :028:

Information added to the HOW TO : Check the most common faults & issues topic,
Page 2 ( E - O ), under the alphabetically listed heading of : "F" / "FAULT CODES"
and acknowledging your contribution.

( The DTC codes can be looked up in the Service Manual  :028: )

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:47:19 am by Coconut »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:51 pm »
In anticipation of everyone rushing off to check for any DTC's stored on their Trophy,
and then asking for interpretations of the various Codes,
I have trawled through the Service Manual - where DTC's are listed
and spread across the various Chapters, have pulled them together,
and arranged them in one file in alpha-numercial order for ease of reference.

The downloadable file ( for Members logged on ) can be found as an attachment
over in the Servicing Data and Reference Information topic, at reply #8  :028:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:38:47 am by Coconut »

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 02:14:11 pm »
 :821: Thank you very much for that very useful info I think you deserve a whisky chaser with that pint :047:

Offline ISU Cyclone

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Algona, IA
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:17:29 am »
Well my Trophy is still in the hospital. Mechanic thought it was the kill switch. Tore the fairing off & who knows what else. He discovered the cable was not connected all the way. He tested the switch & cables and all tested ok. So figured it was just a loose connection. Put it all back together & no power. His computer had trouble connecting & running diagnostics. So he's pretty sure the ECU has failed. I had my ECU replaced last winter but evidently the replacement has failed too. At least it's still under warranty.

It sucks though that we are finally having nice weather & my bike is in the shop. Better now though than this summer. Plus I just bought a new to me 2003 Audi TT convertible. It not as much fun as my Triumph but for a 4-wheeler it's a lot of fun.
19?? Cushman scooter, 1971 Suzuki TC100, 1973 Kawasaki Mache II 350 Triple, 1974 Honda CL450, 1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo, 1980 Suzuki GS1000, 1983, 86, 87, 87, 91 Yamaha Venture, 2013 & 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (both blue)

tweedy-bunch