Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Advice Requested  (Read 11319 times)

Offline DataDavid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE ABS
  • City / Town: Florida
Advice Requested
« on: March 11, 2015, 02:33:03 pm »
I am planning a trip from Florida to Texas (~900 miles) in mid May.  I am considering buying a cover for the bike for the nights I will be in a motel.  Also I am considering buying an inexpensive alarm of some sort.  Anyone have suggestions on either item?  I am probably not going to be going on too many trips where the bike will be out overnight so I don't want to put too much money into either item but I would like a little peace of mind while I in the motel.  This will be my first long distance trip on this bike so if anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.  I did put >60,000 miles on my Goldwing in three years so I am not new to long distance riding but like I said this is my first long trip on the Trophy.  Thanks in advance.

Data
Cushman Motor Scooter, Yamaha 60, Suzuki 380, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300, Honda Goldwing, and finally a Triumph Trophy!

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Advice Requested
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:10:38 pm »
You may want to think about a small half cover instead of a full cover, which I do have and would sell if you're interested.  On the K1600 forum there are some posted instances of wind blowing over some K1600's on centerstands with full covers on them which act as a huge sail.  I wouldn't say this is a common occurance, but I did find mind pointed a slightly different direction once while parked with the cover on it at work.  Predominately depends on where it's parked and time of year I would suppose.  PM me if you want to consider my Nelson Rigg full cover, just keep in mind the extra weight you'll be hauling around with a cover, and the space it will take up.  Let me know where you intend to be in Texas and I'll meet you and buy you a cup of coffee if I'm around.
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:26:29 pm »
+1 on the half cover thing, out of sight, out of mind.

When I got my TTSE it had the Triumph Alarm fitted.  I had this taken off.  I find them to be a PITA.  My experiences are no one takes notice of a bike alarm.  The ones with infra red activators are prone to fail in high micro wave areas such as radio and radar installations; experienced this near an early warning station on North Yorkshire Moors and in the centre of Barcelona!  Could not deactivate the alarm so could not start the bike.  Also built in alarms drain the battery.

My strategy is park the bike in a predominate place near 24 hour hotel reception or where there is CCTV surveillance, with a good lock to something solid like a lamp post.

I think your best defence is being aware of the environment and take local advise and find hotels with secure parking.  Having good insurance is your back stop position too.

Mostly enjoy your tour sometimes the FEAR of crime is as bad as the unlikely event of it happening.

The mnemonic for FEAR is False Expectations Appearing Real!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:30:00 pm »
GarminDave,
Wonder what the alarm system would do near Menwith Hill?   :005:

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 05:55:35 pm »
There trophied I'd worry about me getting fried!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:42 pm »
At Menwith it would fry as you put it then it would be blown to bits. Taken away in a truck :745:

If some lo life wants it they will get it and an alarm is not going to put them off. Good lock chain or wire and watch where you park it.

They would probably nick it during the day with a big van and most people would think it was a dealer or AA taking it away.

seadog

seadog

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 07:42:20 pm »
Saw a nondescript white van early on in my welding supply life that owners came into the shop in to buy a torch and oxy and acetylene cylinders.  Inside on the walls were racks with tools (bolt cutters included), 3 tracks and tiedowns on the floor, windows blacked out, and moveable partition between cargo area and seats.  Couldn't prove what the intent was, but it was pretty obvious.  Unbelievable the lengths others will go to in order to take what we work/save for.  Guess I have to include governments in that last comment too.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 07:58:42 pm »
I take it you sold them a nice faulty unit which soon exploded and incinerated the thieving bas :172: rds!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch