Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Comparing Trophy with Pan ST1100  (Read 5071 times)

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
Comparing Trophy with Pan ST1100
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:14:09 pm »
On Sunday doing my shift with North west Blood bikes I had the opportunity to ride my 95 pan for 100 miles and then immediately ride my 2014 Trophy over the same routes. It was a good chance to compare the bikes and so I thought I would try and collect in a post. Lot of ex Pan owners on here and people thinking of buying a Trophy might be interested.

Trophy Strong points

Riding position more up right, more leg room, generally more comfortable.

Engine more responsive and powerful

Steering lighter and easier to make quick manoevres, eg dodging manholes.

Useful gizmos - all of which I used during the ride - Electric screen, TES, Cruise, Ipod player, Tyre pressure monitoring

Safety - Better brakes plus ABS /traction control

Pan Strong points

Lower CoG - easier to push around, get onto centre stand.

Lower seat - easier to flat foot, more confidence in slow manoevres

Stability in bends - slightly less flickable but feels more solid once in a bend

Carbs - cruising  at steady speed either 30mph or 70mph  the V4 Pan is buttery  smooth and steady whereas the the Trophy's 3 pot  FI and light throttle gives a comparatively dry/ harsh sensation.

Overall the Trophy shows many of the advances in technology that have occurred in the 25 years between the design of the bikes. Definitely it is the more sporty of the two but also safer with ABS/ traction control. I reckon the Pan feels easier to ride but the Trophy could be pushed a lot harder. Everything is a compromise and with the lower Cof G of the Pan comes a less comfortable seating position, slower steering but confidence inspiring stability. Both are bikes to enjoy but having spent my £14K no prizes for guessing which is the winter hack and which will be going on european touur thus summer  :002:

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Re: Comparing Trophy with Pan ST1100
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:46:22 pm »
I was going to keep my ST1100. I really wanted to keep it. I bought the Triumph Sprint GT last March as I had my fair weather bike and also had the Pan for less 'fair' weather.

Had to sell the GT as I had an accident where I tore tendons in my shoulders (didnt know it was that at the time) and the GT riding position didnt help.

So traded it in and bought the TT.

2 weeks later sold the ST1100 - as they say 'the rest is history'

I loved that Pan.  I really love the Trophy..
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Rolf

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vaale
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:15:24 pm »
Only for correct information : Since 1992 the ST1100 was available with ABS and TCS, I drove the 1992 modell from 1999 till 2013, and one reason for not trying a ST1300 was, that the Trophy have the same and the ST1300 have no traction control.
by the way: I never saw a reason for giving up the ST1100. I lost her by an accident (crossing bicycle)  and than I found the TT like "the better ST1100"
- and I don't miss the ST any longer after 12.000 happy kilometers with the Trophy

Cheers Rolf

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:52:03 pm »
Had quite the same experience as Rolf, only it was not a bicycle but an Audi A6 station wagon. :233:...and cannot agree more with his general comments!
My former ST 1100 was a 2000 model year with ABS/CBS and TCS
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:06:42 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Re abs / tc  I was comparing the bikes I had just ridden and on wet winter roads pushing on a bit. abs/ Tcs was definitely something in my head. Like the very significant majority of st1100's mine doesn,t have this. What prompted me to write the post and was uppermost in my mind is the difference in the dynamic riding the bikes.

I suppose if anyone is seriously thinking of one versus the other it must be stated that old pans have big issues with rotten exhausts and swing arms and failing alternators which can cost more than the bikes worth to repair.

One other comparison that i overlooked is that the mirrors on the pan are way better for my geometry.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:18:02 am by davidcumbria »

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 05:15:04 pm »
I traded an '07 ST1300 for the Trophy.  When I bought the ST I thought it would be the last motorcycle I'd ever buy, but then I made the mistake of riding a Trophy.   I loved the ST, it was powerful and stable but very heavy and I thought the engine characteristics were automotive-like, like a big-block V8.   Though the Trophy is a bit high for me and the centerstand challenging, the velvet wail of the 3-cyl mill takes me to Heaven every time, and the handling is ... well, it's a Triumph....!  Best bike I've ever ridden
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »
I had considered an ST1300 some time ago, but it looks like Honda is stuck in the '90s with the technology and features on their bikes.  The V4 was the attraction for me and I didn't want a VFR configuration for seating and weather protection reasons.  I guess if I thought I just had to have a Honda I'd go totally retro for the CB1100.  Nothing else in their stable really excites me, but for that matter nothing in anyones stable except Triumph excites me much.  Best motorcycle and motorcyle value out there right now.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:40:27 pm »
*Originally Posted by Verdun95 [+]
Had quite the same experience as Rolf, only it was not a bicycle but an Audi A6 station wagon. :233:...and cannot agree more with his general comments!
My former ST 1100 was a 2000 model year with ABS/CBS and TCS

Don't suppose that polished out.....

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE