Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Raw Gasoline Leak  (Read 10890 times)

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
Raw Gasoline Leak
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »
 :187: So now that the famous Carolina Blue Skies have returned, I get to take my bad boy to work every morning. Love it!
 However, I can't help but wonder if anyone else out there has raw gasoline leaking onto the garage floor! The floor is dry under the bike, I start the bike, let it idle for a minute or two as I get into my gear....Sit on him, pull up the kickstand and back him out of the garage. There is now a fresh puddle of raw gasoline on the floor and a trail of fresh gas drops from under the center of the bike for about 10 feet, then no more gas leaks. Every morning! :003:
 I am averaging 41 MPG on the super slab at GPS 80 MPH (Indicated 85 MPH on the optimistic speedometer). The fuel capacity is said to be 6.9 gallons, American, but my low fuel warning kicks on at 4.2 gallons consumed and then starts to panic at 5.0 gallons consumed and informs me that I have 35 miles left until empty!!! WTF? :027:
 Any insight out there would be helpful!  :034:     -Thanks, -Dr Ron
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: Raw Gasoline Leak
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
Ron
Take it to the dealer  :005:
There should be no leak of fluid of any kind.
It could be a pressure relief valve that needs swapping out on the fuel pump side?
Any leak and they need to see it.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
I would pay attention to this problem. This is not a joke. we are talking about a quite flamable liquid.

I had a similar problem the first day when I got my new bike from the dealer and reached the first gas station. As soon as I started filling the tank the gasoline started to drop from the bottom. It was lot just a leak. It was a "shower". So, I had to tow the bike to the dealer┤s workshop and they provided me with a superb support resolving the problem. They had to change some parts.

Summarizing, I would not give "further opportunities" to this problem.

This is just my modest point of view.

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »
Had this happen on a brand new BMW.  Turned out that they did not screw on the fuel pump housing and cross threaded a bunch of them so gas would leak out.  We took it off and put it on correctly in the parking lot of a hotel in Death Valley of all places.  Hopefully, yours will be an easy fix as well.

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
sure is gas?? coolant will not

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:39:40 PM »
Definitely gasoline. Dealer is picking it up tomorrow to evaluate and repair. I'll keep you posted! :148:

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:06 PM »
So here's the scoop my moto-brothers: We took the tank out of the bike. It is a formed black ABS plastic affair made in Germany. There is a 3" diameter white nylon plug that is glued into the rear of the tank used to seal the hole there which was left by the fabrication tool that formed the ABS plastic during manufacture. Only problem.... Nylon and ABS plastic DO NOT have the same co-efficient of expansion and contraction! :125: Since the tank is also pressurized, the seal started to leak between the nylon plug and the ABS tank material where it is glued in! Likely the extreme heat in North Carolina during the day, upper 80's, mixed with the night-time lows in the 40's all week long, contributed to the conditions that corrupted the glue/seal. I now need a new tank. :159: I have no idea how long it will take to get one either. The GOOD FOLKS at Ray Price HD/Triumph gave me a 2012 1700cc Storm as a loaner :010:....Oh, how I miss my Trophy SE -> NO COMPARISON!!! The SE is superior in every way so BE THANKFUL you're not on an HD big-twin wannabe!!  :151:
Hope to be back in the saddle with my SE asap; -Dr Ron

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
Excellent description of your problem, Trumpetman13!
You would hope that Triumph tested the tank construction for durability in wide temperature changes - but you never know!
We certainly haven't had the same temperature changes in the UK recently!

tweedy-bunch