Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First Impressions  (Read 5007 times)

Offline captsprocket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lake Worth, FL
First Impressions
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:26:05 pm »
Hi all,

I am now three weeks into ownership of my new 2014 Trophy SE.  Coming from an Ultra Classic, I thought I would share my first impressions after only 300 miles.  And, before the questions come in, yes, only 300 miles!   :161: Had a business trip right after I bought it so haven't been on it as much as I would like yet.

So, here I go.
 * The upright ride is much more comfortable than I was expecting! More laid back feel on the Harley but ended up being rough on the back.  Not feeling that on the Trophy.
 * Adjustable windscreen is AWESOME!  Had to go back to the dealer the week after I got it to have the top box installed.  Dealer is 50 miles away.  Both going there and coming home had spots of driving rain and I was shocked at how much I was able to block the rain with the windscreen.  Not all of it, but I would've had to pull over if I was on the Harley.
 * Leg position - jury is still out.  Have not had a long enough ride to come to a conclusion on this.  I loved the highway pegs I had on the Ultra.  I could stretch out my legs on a long ride.  Having my legs in a tighter position on the Trophy, I am wondering how it will feel on a long ride.  I might consider highway pegs on the Trophy but not sure I will like the look.
 * Lighting - Had the wife drive in front and behind while I was out riding.  She said the front light is blinding, even though it was on low beam.  GOOD!  I want to be seen!   :152:  However, she said the rear lighting is not as good and noticeable as the Ultra.  May need to look into additional lighting for the rear.
 * Storage - The side panniers, while not as long as the Ultra, do seem to have more room in them.  Can fit a full face helmet in both with no problem.  Couldn't do that in the Ultra.  Top Box is a good size too.  Different dimensions than the Ultra but still, 2 full faces will fit and I can easily fit my backpack when taking it to work.
 * Gas mileage is much better than the Harley!  Still early yet and haven't gotten through the break-in phase to really test it, but so far, I'm pushing 50+ mpg which is a good 10+ more than the Harley.  And, I am not putting premium in it, just the middle grade at 89.
 * Speed - OMG, so much faster, even during the break-in, than the Ultra could ever dream of!  I'm not even testing it and it is so quick off the line and quick to pass, etc.  I can tell I am going to have to be careful on this one!
 * Handling - I captained a motorcycle drill team when I had my Harley, so I am used to slow speed maneuvers, being able to scrape the boards and handling my bike.  This is a different feel to me and I am going to need to practice my handling of this bike now.  However, first impressions tell me that I will be able to throw this bike around curves and pull circles and figure 8's without any trouble at all!
 * Weight - not even close!  What a difference in the weight of this bike compared to the Harley.  At least 200 pounds lighter.

Sorry this is so long but thought I would put this out there in case there are any potential buyers out there who may want to hear what a newbie has to say about switching to the Trophy. 

Glad I made the switch! 

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:44:56 pm »
Hi captsprocket - great write up !  :047:

I put some extra rear Stop and Indicator stalk lights on mine, and decided on this :

Video : Trophy Additional Rear LED Lights

Installation guide here : HOW TO : Add Rear LED Stalk Lights

Offline captsprocket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lake Worth, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:21:20 pm »
Thanks, Coconut!  I appreciate the feedback.  I like those lights.  Where did you find them?  I'm sure there are more out there too but those look nice.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:44:34 pm »
All the details are in the Topic linked to for the Installation Guide  :169:

Cheers   :821:

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:12:05 pm »
Captsprocket

Welcome :400: and good write up. :047:

seadog :821:
seadog

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:44:30 pm »
The headlight is electronically adjustable from the handlebars.  My bike was adjusted way to high and I did not realize that until my first  ride in the dark.
Check you operators manual on how to make the adjustment.
If you are impressed with the speed now you will be amazed when you are revving over 5,000 RPM!
Good luck and enjoy the ride!
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 03:47:04 pm »
 :400: captsprocket and  :821:.

I too used to be a Harley Electra Glide ride and concur with your initial findings.

Enjoy your ride and you'll find all you need ever know here.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 06:03:49 pm »
Breaking the harley habit of running Premium gas is a hard one to let go of.  The manual says to run Regular.  It is tuned to run Regular.  Run Regular my friend.  Anything higher is a waste.

For rear end lighting, it's hard to beat the P3 Lights from Skene.  http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/

I have some on my Rocket and they are flat out dazzling.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

tweedy-bunch