Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear wheel not turning  (Read 4297 times)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Rear wheel not turning
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:48:15 pm »
Hi

I have been off the road for 2 months after a shoulder operation.  Before the TT was garaged it was serviced (10000 mile) and washed by the garage.

Went to turn it over today and the battery is flat, not a problem and not unexpected, ill charge it this week and then attach an optimate.

However the rear wheel is locked up.  I cant see much and bend down to see the problem as my back (also after an op) and shoulder is still sore.  However as I say, the rear wheel is locked up.  I could move it a few inches, but havent got shoulder strength to turn it more.

What will have locked up?  I was thinking of just starting the bike after charging the battery and force the wheel to turn, would that cause further problems?
thanks

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Rear wheel not turning
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 01:56:39 pm »
Could it be that it is either "In Gear" OR as the Garage washed it the rear pads have got stuck to the disc by a little thing called RUST... ?

Not unheard off - I always wipe clean and dry the discs on my Bikes after a Wet ride or Wash
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 02:02:37 pm »
Its in neutral and I think it could be a little surface rust, I could probably turn the wheel more with force but my shoulder wont allow me.  Just wondering if it could have been anything else.  Once I get it started up should know more.

thanks for the reply.

G
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 02:15:13 pm »
Don't try any drastic whilst you've still got a dicky shoulder... Have you tried kicking the rear wheel or even a gentle tap with a rubber/nylon mallet on the rear caliper - the light shock may just break the surface rust adhesion between pads and disc..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 02:26:43 pm »
:0461:  Most likely to be the brake pads stuck to the disc.

Just make sure you don't bend / warp the disc while trying to free them off !  :028:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 02:31:58 pm »
Having not moved for so long I am sure it will just be the pads sticking.... once you feel strong enough I would just start the bike and attempt to pull away..... carefully...
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 02:48:04 pm »
Happened to me once.After a period away. Had it on the centre stand.

Started the bike and gently knocked it into 1st gear. Freed itself immediately.

As soon as it turns knock it back into neutral. Clean the rear disc with Brake cleaner. Or even try spaying the Callipers and disc with brake cleaner then try to turn the wheel.

should free up easy.  Don't hammer too hard as mentioned chance of damaging the calliper or disc.

seadog

seadog

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 03:04:54 pm »
I thought I had the same problem when my tire went flat from a puncture.  I could roll it a couple of inches, but felt like rear brake was dragging severely.  The sidewalls on these tires are so stiff that on an unladen bike it doesn't look like the tire is flat (mine was on the sidestand).  It finally dawned on me that it may be the tire, and the gauge revealed it to be completely flat.  Getting to the valve stem for you may be as difficult as anything else given your physical issue.  Maybe you could have a friend check your tire for you.  If it is indeed locked up, then should to a brake issue.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch