Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Protective paint film options  (Read 12142 times)

Offline Dave Cliff

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 (2013)
  • City / Town: Stroud
Protective paint film options
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
Every time I get off my silver trophy, there's a kind of grey powder (paint/polish?) stuck to the inside knee of my leathers. I'm therefore very keen to get a piece of protective film to apply on that area of the tank. I don't want the full protective film kit from Triumph as it's £150 with a recommendation that a professional fits it, and besides it covers areas I don't need to worry about. So...I've been looking at customisable options which I can do myself. There's a company on eBay selling two different 3m products, both of which would appear to do the trick for about £30.  See link
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/carbodydesign-eu/40cm-x-80cm-/_i.html?_fsub=2461968010&_sid=1009037200&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 Unfortunately, their customer services have not responded to any of my calls/messages.
Anyone know the difference and can recommend this or another solution?

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Protective paint film options
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
I would use a local window tinting guy to fit it.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
I've bought some adhesive vinyl to do the same thing although not clear. The trick to fitting these is use some soapy water on the surface of the bike so that it allows the sticker / decal whatever you wish to call it to move about into position. When its sat where you want it then using a spreader or an old credit card to force out the water working from the middle towards the edge the vinyl will then stick. Do it carefully and you wont get any air bubbles underneath.

Have fun  :046: :046:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:14 PM »
getting ready for arrival in 1 week...if you are in the uk Search on "Premier Paint Guard" to buy a sheet for £60. I just have - will let you know how i get on

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
I used to race sidecars and we used to put the vinyl on using the soapy water credit card trick as chaos says above.  Some of the curves were difficult but at least you can move it around.  If you get a bubble you can use a scalpel to just nick. It to let the air out and stick it down.  A hair drier is also very good to soften everything up.  Especially in our weather!

John

Offline Dave Cliff

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »
Some more news on this topic. I contacted 3M who manufacture the best known protective film, who put me in touch with a VentureShield outfit in Solihull who ordinarily would have sold me just the tank bit of the protective kit. However, apparently there's a fatwa on any agent selling any part of the kit outside of the Triumph dealer network until 6 months after the Trophy launch date. So, they offered to sell me a metre length of the VentureShield film and fitting kit (for about £30) and gave me some really useful instruction as to how to create my own templates and fit the film. I've subsequently successfully fitted it to both sides of the tank and am in the process of doing the same with the panniers (which is a lot more tricky owing to the multiple profiles round the corners). In conclusion, for £30 and a fair bit of effort I've avoided the standard Triumph offering of £300 to supply and fit the full protective kit. Phew!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:42:44 AM by Dave Cliff »

Offline Dave Cliff

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
Oh, and does anyone have the templates for the panniers? Just the backing on the film supplied with the standard Triumph kit would do me. Thanks. Dave

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dave Cliff [+]
Some more news on this topic. I contacted 3M who manufacture the best known protective film, who put me in touch with a VentureShield outfit in Solihull who ordinarily would have sold me just the tank bit of the protective kit. However, apparently there's a fatwa on any agent selling any part of the kit outside of the Triumph dealer network until 6 months after the Trophy launch date. So, they offered to sell me a metre length of the VentureShield film and fitting kit (for about £30) and gave me some really useful instruction as to how to create my own templates and fit the film. I've subsequently successfully fitted it to both sides of the tank and am in the process of doing the same with the panniers (which is a lot more tricky owing to the multiple profiles round the corners). In conclusion, for £30 and a fair bit of effort I've avoided the standard Triumph offering of £300 to supply and fit the full protective kit. Phew!

Nice one Dave  :028:
I'm doing the same thing but using carbon effect "just to be different"  :087:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.