Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bad dealer experience.  (Read 3515 times)

Offline undecided

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Eastvale, CA
Bad dealer experience.
« on: March 15, 2015, 05:02:51 am »
Went to a dealer that sells different makes of cycles. Once the salesperson arrived he led me around the place to show me a few bikes that i might be like. I told him I was interested in the TT.  I asked him if he had any experience on the bike and he said yes. I have done my research on the TT  a lot of his information was wrong. He told me the bike had 160 horsepower and over 100 ft/lbs(wonder what bike he was thinking off?). This bike doesn't have linked breaks and the suspension cannot be adjusted according to him   . After all that he kept turning me to another brand saying it is a much better bike for long distance and two up. This dealer is one the top selling Triumph dealer in California. In my opinion if some of these dealers would really try and sell Triumph it would fly off the floor. It just happens to be the best selling Euro bike in the states but i could even be better. The sales person just happen to own a bike like the one he said was the best for me. I guess I shouldn't blame him he love what he rides. I could really see a TT SE in my garage.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Bad dealer experience.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:03:51 am »
Hi undecided,

That's a real shame but is a sad fact of life and human nature that individual sales people
let their own personal preferences influence their advice.  Or maybe they just earn more commission
by selling something else, and don't really care what they say, as long as they make a sale !  :157:

I would consider writing to Triumph Head Office to let them know that sales staff are giving out
incorrect information, and the effect it had on you not purchasing one of tehir motorcycles
at that delaer, and then they can take it up with them, if they so choose.

Sadly over in the U.S. there have been a number of reports by our Forum Members
of individual dealers letting the Triumph brand down.  This doesn't seem to happen ( as much ? )
over this side of the pond in the UK, where Triumph have better control over the Dealerships.

Meanwhile, don't give up - the Trophy IS a fantastic machine !

The attached map doesn't show distances, (and you didn't say which Dealer it was that let you down),
but there are other dealers that you could visit, to see if the experience there is more professional.
If you do end up buying a Trophy from them, consider the extra distance as a bonus, as it will give
you an excuse ( not that you'll need one ) to ride the bike more when it comes to servicing time  :001:

Cheers  :821:

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many!
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:20:15 am »
Please don't let him put you off!

What bike was he trying to sell you and (with a nam like "undecided") what else are you looking at?
‘13 Tiger 1200 Gold/Red  - 2013 to date
‘14 Trophy 1200 SE Silver - 2021 to date
‘15 Trophy 1200 A1 Pacific Blue - 2020 to date (for sale soon)
‘15 Trophy 1200 SE Ruby Red - 2021 to date

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 11:07:15 am »
Did you stop and correct him? Wonder if he was maybe new to the job. To bad he didn't know what he was talking about, I vary highly recommend the trophy
Trophy Tom

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:35:04 pm »
I bet the other bike started with B and ended with W and I also bet he gets more commission on that brand that is why they will never sell you a standard BMW the more you pay the bigger there cut. Maybe Triumph got it wrong with the Trophy and should have sold a very basic model very cheep and charged allot of money to take it up to full spec because the bike mags are always given the top of the range bike with all the extras to test so they spend the whole review talking about the extras but they all ways quote the basic price and weight. BMW worked that one out years ago  :233: 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:37:07 pm by malcolm »

Offline triumphtrophyrider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 & 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 12:48:53 pm »
It seems this may be a common theme when Triumph is in the same building with BMW.  My dealer has both and BMW just had them install their latest showroom design.  It now takes over 3/4 of the showroom and actually blocks your view of any Triumph in the building when you walk in.  You can't even walk between the Triumph models they have since they are crammed together in the other section of the showroom.   Triumph needs to up their game when it comes to showroom requirements, including P & A.  Service departments are also lacking in training.  I recently bought my Trophy and the service department didn't even know how to use the dealer service tool to get the icons working in the display to show when the heated grips and seat were turned on!

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 01:23:05 pm »
When it comes to Triumph dealers, they are really good or really bad.  When you see a dealer that carriers only Triumph or Triumph and another Euro brand or two - typically Ducati, but sometimes BMW or others, they will likely be good and have a complete understanding of the bike.  My Dealer in Kalamazoo, MI is an example of an excellent dealer.

We have a new dealer in Grand Rapids (where I live).  They are a Yamaha dealer that took on Triumph.  I have issues with the parts guy - says he needs my VIN to determine what oil filter I need, but they do house their Triumph motorcycles in a new, separate showroom with dedicated sales people, so they are getting their.

I believe Triumph is at least trying to up their game.  They have closed down many poor dealers and are trying to recruit others.  I thought about becoming a Triumph dealer in Palm Springs, CA where I have a second home and talked to them at length about it and they were well organized and well prepped for new dealers. 

AT the same time, this is a double-edged sword.  Triumph still is a niche brand, but they are pushing their dealers to up their game, make their stores more professional and carry more bikes.  For many of the dealers, this will be financially difficult.

It's a transition time for the brand

Offline undecided

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Eastvale, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 05:20:28 pm »
Believe it or not there was no BMW dealer at this location. I was led more to a Victory. I don't think one salesperson should ruin a dealer reputation and yes I did inform him on his mistakes. He told me he sells more Victory than anything else and he did tell me he should have gotten someone else to help me on the TT. I think most people buying motorcycles have an idea of what they want and in my case it just fells bad hearing that the bike your dreaming about does not do well against another bike. Now that I have my heart set on a TT it is just a waiting game on what to get first. A car for a growing family of drivers or my toy! Also wife said she will ride with me but not as much she thought. As for the dealer it sells more Triumphs than any other dealer in the states so I'll just pick another person to give my money too. Many people have said that this dealer is a good one to buy Triumphs from and one guy won't deter me from using them. Thank you all for your comments. I"m hoping by the end of this year I'll have a cycle but in the mean time I have 3 trips line up on some rented bikes. One is the TT in Vegas.

tweedy-bunch