Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Triumph inventory management (or lack thereof)  (Read 8755 times)

Offline audio2u

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springfield
Triumph inventory management (or lack thereof)
« on: March 15, 2015, 08:39:41 pm »
Most of us who ride a bike like a Trophy are experienced riders and not prone to drop it every five minutes, like some pimply-faced youth on a 300cc crotch rocket.
So you can imagine how gutted I am to have to admit that I dropped mine a month ago. Circumstances totally outside of my control... half way through a long left hander on a downhill slope and I find a spill of oil or diesel. Couldn't avoid it, front end went straight out from under me and I came down pretty hard on my left shoulder while the bike slid down the hill on its left side until it came to an abrupt halt when it collided with the Armco railing in the middle of the road.
Yeah, I'm ok. Shoulder took the worst of it, and it's slowly coming good. The bike? According to the local triumph dealer (who has the bike now), I could have ridden it while waiting for the repairs. I declined that offer so as to give the shoulder time to heal.
But the real reason for this post us to bemoan the appalling inventory management at Triumph Australia. Of the 27 parts that need to be replaced on my bike, 16 are on a3 week back order! Seriously?
It's times like this I think I'd have been better off on a Japanese bike. I could just about have picked up any spare parts at my nearest 7-11! Does anyone else feel that this kind of delay is acceptable or worthy of criticism? Just seems inexcusable to me, in this day and age of computer-managed stock levels.
My bike history: (1) c.1982 Honda CT125, (2) c.1986 Yamaha SRX250, (3) 1988 Honda CBR1000FH, (4) 1989 Suzuki GSX-R750 Slingshot, (5) 2012 Suzuki Boulevard M90, (6) 2013 Triumph Trophy SE.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Triumph inventory management (or lack thereof)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:49:42 pm »
Hi audio2u,

Sorry to hear of your mishap, burt glad you are comparatively OK.

Out of interest - what are the parts that are needed ?

If the parts on back order are parts that you would normally expect to be held in stock,
such as panels etc that are likely to need replacing if the bike is dropped,
then I'd write to Triumph, either at Australia or back here in the UK,
to express your disatisfaction - unless they get to hear these problems from people such as yourself,
they may not have much incentive to improve things.

Cheers  :821:

Offline audio2u

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:09:25 pm »
Cheers coconut.
To the best of my knowledge, the parts required are all cosmetic in nature, as the workshop manager assured me there was no mechanical damage to the bike.
I suppose there'd be no harm in dropping Triumph Australia a line, eh? I'll do that.
My bike history: (1) c.1982 Honda CT125, (2) c.1986 Yamaha SRX250, (3) 1988 Honda CBR1000FH, (4) 1989 Suzuki GSX-R750 Slingshot, (5) 2012 Suzuki Boulevard M90, (6) 2013 Triumph Trophy SE.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:24:31 am »
Glad to hear you're okay. I had a drop on to my left shoulder a few years ago and eventually I needed a minor surgery. I hope your shoulder feels better soon.
The bike will be repaired soon.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:40:46 pm »
Audio2u

Sorry to hear of your spill. Hope your shoulder heals up soon. I agree with Coconut this needs mentioning at management level to improve service. Hope it gets resolved and you are back on the blackstuff soon.

seadog
seadog

Offline audio2u

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:00:02 am »
Well... it gets worse.
TODAY (this would be the end of the so-called "2-3 weeks"), I get told by Triumph Australia (via the dealer) that the parts won't be here until AT LEAST April 2nd.
That will be a couple of days before Easter.
Which essentially means, my bike is off the road until mid-April! That's two freakin' MONTHS since the spill!
Not happy, Jan.
I've taken to Twitter and Facebook today to express my dissatisfaction.
Triumph North America responded to say soory, but nothing they can do about it (that's fair enough).
Triumph Australia?
The silence is deafening.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 09:02:00 am »
G'day Audio2u,

Firstly glad to see you're on the mend after the off. Although I haven't had the same experience I'm concerned that after a year Triumph Australia hasn't resolved the dealership issue up here on the Darling Downs (Toowoomba). Local dealer opted out of Triumph over a year ago. On discovering this I emailed Triumph Australia to which the response from the QLD/NT Dealership manager was '....we're currently in negotiations with an alternate dealer.....blah, blah, blah". Has a new dealer been appointed....no? I now have to sacrifice a day to two days off work to transit to Brisbane to an 'authorised Triumph dealer. Bugger that :233: :233: :233: :233: :233: :233: :233:.

I agree two months wait is far too long for parts unless they're unlikely to break or be damaged (go figure motorcycle?).

Catch you on the road perhaps when your up and running again.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:52:41 pm »
You aren't the first to complain about inventory management. Sadly I (and others) have experience the same here in the USA
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST