Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 344.6 miles on one tank / Running on EMPTY  (Read 26567 times)

Offline thomasp48

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Playa del Rey, CA
344.6 miles on one tank / Running on EMPTY
« on: March 17, 2015, 01:30:33 am »
I rolled into the Chevron station on the way back from work, this afternoon, with 344.6 miles on the tripmeter, and about 25 miles past "0 miles" displayed on the instrument panel. The tank took 6.7 gallons, giving me an average fuel consumption of approximately 51.4 miles per gallon. The instrument panel showed 5.8 gallons consumed, so it was off on both counts. Triumph claims a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, but I exceeded that by a tenth of a gallon, and I know there was more left in the tank, because the engine was still running normally, with good throttle response.
My previous distance record on one tank was 213 miles on 5.5 gallons, with a 2000 Suzuki GSF600SY Bandit. I coasted into the gas station that time.
Both distances were accomplished running at a near-constant 60 mph on freeways and divided highways.

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
Re: 344.6 miles on one tank / Running on EMPTY
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:30:50 am »
Hi Thomasp48,

Two years ago I managed to run my Trophy out of gas completely and posted my report here. Since the the fuel tank of my 2013 Trophy took 6.6 gallons (US), in accordance with the Triumph specs, it makes me wonder about the calibration of the gas pump at the station where you filled up. That could indicate a calibration error in that particular pump and could lead to significant overcharging of customers paying for more fuel than they actually get. I suggest you report that to appropriate agency in your state as the 1.5% error could result in significant unearned profit by the station operator, especially if other pumps at the same site are similarly overcharging.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:28:54 am »
At a 60mph average speed, I get around the 400 plus mike range, which is quite amazing. Up the average speed and closer to 300 miles. I have drilled some extra air holes around the filler neck, and this makes it dead easy to fill totally to the top consistently without having to stand there slowly filling the last bit. Of course, only when you are about to ride off shortly. I have not tested whether I get any more in, but at least now I know it is full (all on the sidestand)

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 06:25:13 am »
Well Thomas as the Trophy tank is part of the bike and a fixed component measured by the manufacturer I am inclined to believe the 6.6 gln quoted capacity which leads me to believe that the actual delivery of fuel is less than the 6.7 gln allegedly delivered by your Chevron and probably closer to the 5.8 gln the computer said! good news n that you are getting even better mpg.... bad news in that the Chevron is overcharging!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:31:21 am »
Saaz...

Extra "air" holes around the Filler Neck ?

Where exactly.....?

Is that because you Fill-Up on the Side-stand and not the Centre-Stand ?
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 08:07:33 am »
I put a ring of holes just below the top of the neck, around the top of where the two square breather holes are. Main reason is that the tank fills up to the top much more consistently, without sitting there dribbling in fuel and waiting for the level to stabilise as the air escapes, with the chance of fuel bubbling over.  Also to save time stopped when refueling on IBA type rides.  Not something to do if you are going to fill and then stop for a while, in which case you should fill a bit lower.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:11:39 am »
So 344.6 miles = 554.5 km not too bad at all. Best I've done is 535km on a tank two up and loaded riding from Sydney NSW to home on the New England Hwy (boring). Wasn't on the last drop but certainly into the last 6 litres. The economy and performance is continually exceptional.

Always do the rough math equation to check if you're not being overcharged ant the pump (cheeky buggers).
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 08:41:57 am »
It's great to get that many miles out of a tank of gas, I could only get 150 miles out of my last bike ( 1300 v Star ) went from Michigan to Colorado and got sick of stopping all the time
Trophy Tom