Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Main Stand Problems - Still !!  (Read 12021 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Warrington UK
Main Stand Problems - Still !!
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:20:46 am »
Recently acquired a 2014 Trophy and really pleased except for one big issue.

I am quite small build and a short leg so have installed the Ling lowering kit which really helps with getting both feet down.

The big problem  is getting the beast on the main stand. :233: :233: :233:

I have watched aall the videos on "how to" but still cannot get this heavy burden on the main stand even if I put a one inch wood packer under real wheel to raise it first.

I had a 1050 Sprint before and had no issue at all getting this on the main stand. :002: :002: :002:

As a qualified engineer, I have come to the conclusion this is a fundamental Triumph design issue. Quite simple there is not enough leverage exerted. Maybe Triumph only wants Gorillas to ride Trophys, god forbid if you were a woman.

I think  the answer is to get the main stand shortened so here are my questions

1) Has anyone had similar experiences/views re the mainstand design

2) Has anyone shortened their main stand if so where did you cut/shorten it.
2014 Trophy Se
1971 Honda 500 Four K0

I'll just be 5 minutes !!!!

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Main Stand Problems - Still !!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:36:36 am »
I find the main stand about the same or a bit easier than my ST1100. I know on the ST1100 that even fitting a slightly lower profile rear tyre made it harder to get on the centre stand, so lowering links must make it a lot harder, and not really as Triumph designed the bike so can't really blame them.  I am 5'8" and 70 kgs so no gorilla. You do have to be definite in standing on the foot of the stand while pulling up and back on the pillion rail even as standard.

Others who have fitted the lowering links will have more useful comments on how they handle it in practice. A shortened stand makes sense to me. How does it sit on the side stand, as the bike must stand up a bit straighter? That is another thing I noticed on the ST1100 with the lower profile rear tyre.

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:46:08 am »
Haven't even tried it yet, kind of afraid to it is such a heavy bike. I'm going to Make sure there's someone around the first time I try it don't want to drop it  :110:
Trophy Tom

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:13:51 am »
I have come to the conclusion this is a fundamental Triumph design issue.

Isn't it a bit harsh to  blame Triumph for something not working
after you've made changes to their original design by lowering the height of the bike ?

Maybe the criticism shoud be aimed at whoever makes and supplies the Lowering Kits
to come up with a solution for THEIR after market equipment ? :164:

Offline paulbaker1954

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Warrington UK
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:25:50 am »
I think Coconut misses my point. Even before I lowered the bike I had huge problems and now with a plank under the wheel the geometry is the same as an unlowered bike.

I am not havng a go at Triumph I just think it could be improved thats all. I have had many bikes over the years and it's the mist difficult I have ever encountered even as standard. That must say somethng abupt the design.

Google Tropy road tests and you will find many similar comments for testers !!
2014 Trophy Se
1971 Honda 500 Four K0

I'll just be 5 minutes !!!!

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 10:43:25 am »
There are a few other Members that seem to have problems getting the bike on the centre stand,
so I'm not disagreeing there, personally I didn't have that problem, but I do admit to being "somewhat"
over the standard rider weight of 80Kg that I've seen mentioned somewhere !

The Trophy is a heavy bike, no question, but after practice, I found it relatively easy !

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 10:44:33 am »
It is definitely harder than many but a knack which requires confidence more than anything.  tips for practising - wear thick soled boots, take off all the boxes, concentrate on pushing down with your foot  full body weight and a little extra push/sink  down  on the leg,. Use the grip/hole  under the seat not the pillion hand rests.

Although I find it easy  enough with empty/ no boxes I  generally only use the side stand when boxes are fully loaded.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:46:25 am by davidcumbria »

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:51:47 am »
I suppose I am coming at it from the view that the Trophy is a lighter bike than I am used to. So relatively not too bad. I can see if you are used to lighter bikes that it would seem quite an effort.  Most testers take a 200kg bike as being heavy but even my 78 GS1000 Suzuki was heavier than this!  And from memory was hard to get on the main stand (the stand has been long gone, since 1982 or so)

But I can understand some anxiety with using the main stand. You have to be in a level place, and confident about putting the stand down to stand on it while pulling up and back. Not easy if you are not used to it. You have to learn to trust in doing it.  A fold out handle like the ST1100 has would probably make it a little less daunting as it would fall more naturally to hand as you stepped on the main stand.