Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Born again biker  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Dave

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sym GTS 300i Evo
  • City / Town: Rotherham
Born again biker
« on: April 12, 2013, 02:00:40 AM »
Hi there,
My name is Dave, and I am 65.   :062:
I am very pleased that I found this site, we all need a bit of help and advise at times, and I am just as pleased to give it as well as receive it.
I am a born again biker and have always been a big Triumph man right from the age of 16 when I got my first Triumph Tiger Cub, what a lovely little bike for a first bike, from there I have had quite a few, The Bonneville T120, Speed twin and the old TR6 Trophy, not one of Triumph's best bikes, then at 20 brought a car got married had a couple of kids and that was the end of my biking days, until I retired and we brought a motorhome and went touring Europe, first got a little 50cc to take on the back but before we set off I new it wasn't going to be big enough, so I changed it for a 125 Vespa, but after the first trip I wanted something bigger, the the most I could carry on the bike wrack was 200kg. I looked and read all there was and came up with the Sym GTS 300i nice scooter very comfortable and copes well with two up, and it has been very reliable, could have gone for the Burgman 200 but that was £2000 more.
To my surprise the wife enjoys it as much as me, we cover some 7000 miles each 6 months, so I am now going to get a tourer and tow it, and it looks like it will be the new Trophy, I was looking at the BMW R1200 RT SE as that is about 40kg lighter, but I am British and want a Triumph, I have read very review I can find, It ticks all the right boxes, and it looks a superb machine. My worry is I have never ridden a bike that heavy, I think that the Bonneville was only about 200kg, so I would like a bit of reassurance from anyone out there, I am quite a fit old geeza, and the Sym weighs 200kg and I have been fine with that, but that extra 100kg is worrying me a bit. Any advise would be much appreciated, providing it's I want to here, Only kidding.
Thanks
Happy biking, Take care. Dave.   :821:

Offline Bubbaslye

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumphy TROPHY
  • City / Town: Charleston
Re: Born again biker
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 04:17:00 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm a bit older ( 70 to be precise ), and I find the TROPHY relatively easy to handle; in the past, I've had BMW's as well as heavy cruisers, so I've had a fair amount of experience; to be sure, one must be careful as well as alert at slower speeds, but shouldn't those of us who opt to ride m'cycles ALWAYS be "careful as well as alert"?  The bike's power, smoothness, and creature comforts are all state of the art, and so far ( just turned 3,000 miles yesterday ), I've not found a single thing to complain about. 

At the same time, I must note that my wife doesn't ride, so I've yet to have anyone behind me on the bike; therefore, you might want to see what those who "share the ride" think about the TROPHY's handling. 

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:51 AM »
I am also a little senior to you Dave, 69 and worried about the weight of the Trophy. Before the Trophy actually appeared I had a test ride in the RT but both me and the wife hated it, like riding a tractor. I waited until the Trophy launch then booked a test ride, from feet up SOLD, handles like a dream solo and two-up, my wife who has been riding with me from the early '60's loves the bike and the heated seat.

Like you this is not my first Triumph, I started riding in '61 BSA C12 250cc - Royal Enfield Crusader Sports 250cc next, then my first Triumph a '59 Tiger 110 then a '61 T 120 Bonneville then various gaps and bikes.

Have a test ride, I promise you from feet up you'll love it, just pick where you park very carefully. :400:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:27:36 AM by Triplemania »

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:49:44 AM »
Hi dave

Read the comments on my newbie post.  I am not far behind you in age.  I do a lot of miles but this is my first Tourer.  Luckily I have 4 bikes to change between.  I also have a tiger cub (and commando) but not road going.  I have never been without a bike since 16 when I passed my test.

As to weight;  the only time I have noticed it is when shutting off for bends wand having to also touch the brakes, where on the sprint or tiger I would not have to.

It handles great and you can throw it around it is Bryan planted on the road and the 'cornering' weight just disappears.  All the road tests said it did and it does.

About to go out and muck around with the sat navigation.

John

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »
Hello Dave

I must be the baby at 55. I passed my test about 3 years ago. I have to agree with all the other comments made here. My girlfriend and I ride together most weekends and she claims it is the most comfortable bike she has ridden on.  Just be careful of the 'takeoffs and landings' and you will be fine. by that I mean select your parking carefully and make sure you have both feet planted when stopped at lights and your passenger sits perfectly still. The rest of it is a dream. Good handling, very easy to steer and a joy to ride.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »
I must agree with the above, me and my wife have just done an 1100 mile round trip to Holland and I was nervous about getting on the Channel Tunnel train 2 up but it was fine. Make sure you select your parking places carefully as the bike is rather heavy to push backwards. Avoid gravel and whenever you stop have your front wheel facing straight forward. Be aware of steep camber as when you stop your foot may not reach the ground.

If it does go badly wrong at any time don't try to hold her up, just get out of the way.

I was concerned about the weight but have done 2300 miles up to now without incident and I am small and weedy. I hope you enjoy your new machine because when you ride it it doesn't feel like 300kg at all it feels like a bonny.
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Brunodeola

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: vouneuil sur vienne
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »
Hello david,

Now I'm the youngest, at 54.

I never had a bike that weight and I owned many motorcycles in my life.
Like the other comments said, past 10Km/h, it's a dream machine. Smooth and comfortable.
My wife, as a passenger loves it.
I'm short also (1,67m). When I have to make a 180 degree turn on a tight road, I stop the bike, place it on the side stand, and manouver off the bike. It may look stupid but much safer. Just take your time.

Offline Dave

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sym GTS 300i Evo
  • City / Town: Rotherham
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »

Well I am absolutely bold over with all your kind and very helpfully replies, They really have helped to allay my concerns, about the weight, and I can't wait to get home and have a test ride, Triumph have arranged one with a local dealer.
Once again a big thank you.   :028:
If any of you are planing a trip to Spain drop me an email, there are some lovely rides out there.
Take care.
Dave
 :821:

tweedy-bunch