Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TIR4 High Visibility LED Rear Brake Strobe  (Read 11034 times)

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
TIR4 High Visibility LED Rear Brake Strobe
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:06:10 am »
I just installed a high visibility TIR4 rear brake strobe light tonight. I had one on one of my previous bikes and it helps a lot from a safety standpoint. I first saw them about three years ago when a couple members of a group that I use to ride with had them on their bikes (Goldwings). The first thing I noticed was how bright they were during daylight hours, definitely makes you more visible from behind. I shot a quick video showing what it looks like while still in the garage, first with the garage lights on, and then with them off. It only strobes when you apply the brake. Updated Video Showing Day / Night Comparison: Link http://youtu.be/1PfLkN-IwTo
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:25:16 am by Zebraranger »

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
Re: TIR4 High Visibility LED Rear Brake Strobe
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 11:34:58 am »
Zebraranger,

Great video.   :028:

Can you post the full name and manufacterer of this device and instructions on how to wire it?

I am always interested in being more visible when slowing.  I assume this is activated by the brake light.

Thanks

ZShyster

Offline fnhead

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southside of Capones
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 04:57:56 pm »
Yea, I need me one of those, in Chicago traffic, everyone is up my ar$e...

How did you go about the wiring, anything that needs to be done to avoid Can Bus issues?

Appreciate your input
Dave
HEAD
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:37:45 pm »
Yes, they only come on when you apply the brake and its pretty easy to install. There are no CANBUS issues if you wire it only to the hot brake light wire.
Red wire from LED to hot rear brake light wire.
Black wire from LED, is ground to the frame.
Yellow wire from LED you don't use, its for linking multiple LEDs as found on LE and emergency vehicles. These are commercial grade LED's that are usually mounted in the grills of emergency vehicles. They are very bright lights and they definitely grab your attention if your behind the bike.
Blue wire from LED is used to change the strobe pattern.
This is done by touching it (blue wire) to the black ground wire for one second. There are 22 patterns to select from.
If you want to completely turn off the LED, just touch blue wire to black ground wire for 5 seconds. same for turning it on.
I mounted the LED just underneath the tag plate. You can either mount it to the rear fender, or make a mounting plate. I elected to bolt it to the rear fender as its a cleaner install and I plan on not taking it off.
I ran 3 wires (Red, black & blue) under the rear fender where there is a gap in the two pieces just underneath the tail light, if you remove the tail light the three wires will come up right there.
I spliced the red wire into the hot brake light wire on the tail light section of the bikes rear wiring, I didn't want to splice into the bikes main wiring harness.
Grounded the black wire to a bolt in the rear section between the tail light and passenger seat.
I plan on adding a switch to the blue wire and the ground wire today so I can just flick the switch to change the pattern or turn it off or on. it will be located under the passenger seat. I really don't ever intend to turn it off thou as I never turned it off on my other bike that had it on. It will be nice to use to change the pattern though. They come in different colors, make sure to get the red, not the blue light as that's a color that law enforcement vehicles use and putting a blue strobe on your bike is illegal. A couple of years back when I put one on my other bike they were $79.00, but I recently found them at a much better price of just $29.00 here 
https://www.ledequipped.com/index.php/a-1197.html
They can also be found at Amazon for the same price with free shipping if you search Swift 2 TIR4 LED on their site.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:40:33 pm by Zebraranger »

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:23:32 pm »
Thank you.

ZShyster

Offline fnhead

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southside of Capones
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:04:49 pm »
Thanks for the information
HEAD
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:28 pm »
Wow, these look great.  And the price is right too. I may get two, one for the Trophy and one for the 955 ST.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:32:16 pm »
Make sure that you check your State's motor vehicle laws.  Many States such as Virginia require that the flashing stop after a few seconds.  The install in the video above is technically illegal but I doubt seriously that it would be enforced.

I have become a fan of the Skene Design systems.  They have the P3 for the rear and the Photo Blaster for the front.  http://skenedesign.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsP-LAkcqhA

When in taillight mode, the LEDs flicker in order to draw attention to them.  Very cool feature.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)