Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First ride - finally1  (Read 3273 times)

Offline triumphtrophyrider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 & 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Wisconsin
First ride - finally1
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:45:54 pm »
I actually got to ride my new 2014 Trophy that I bought in November of last year.  The roads were finally clean enough after the winter salting to go the distance to my dealer to get the icons working for my heated grips and seats.  It was 31 deg F when I started out and 35 deg F on the ride home.  Put on all the gear I usually wear at that temperature (heated vest, thick gloves and coat) but found out I was actually too warm behind that large fairing and windshield (I have a Trophy 900 that would require all that gear to keep warm).  Actually had to unplug the vest and put on thinner gloves.  After the 100 mile round trip I am starting to understand the rave reviews others have given this bike.  Heavier than hell when you push it around in the garage gives way to light handling at speed.  The gearbox is a little clunky but I'm sure that will improve with more miles.  The only real negative I have found is the rear brake is very weak.  It seems to need a lot of lever travel and force to get it to work.  Will that improve once the pads bed in or is this normal?   

I did see once glitch in the instrument panel when I was adjusting the radio.   While riding at speed and adjusting the radio, I saw the speedo needle take a nose dive to zero and then return to the speed I was riding at.  Could be a fluke but I'll watch out for it in the future to figure out what might be causing it.

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
Re: First ride - finally1
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:21:28 pm »
I haven't really noticed any problems with the rear brakes but then I really never hit them hard either. Mine is new to got 700 miles on it in the last few weeks and love the bike. Your right heavy as hell pushing it around
Trophy Tom

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:01:02 am »
Really sad you had to wait that long to ride. You should move toa warmer climate.....say like....Texas :001:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 02:09:24 am »
I saw the speedo needle take a nose dive to zero and then return to the speed I was riding at

Happened to me once.

G
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline triumphtrophyrider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2000 & 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 03:18:51 am »
After riding the bike in near freezing temps, if I lived in a warmer climate I'd probably have to strip some body panels off the bike and make it naked!

Offline Datum 28

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:30:41 am »
the gearbox will get better - you might even consider swapping out the oil and filter early (I do it at 50 miles on a new motor... then again around 1000-1500). Part of what I Think makes it clunky is the pedals are adjusted down farther than I think they should be.... makes a bit difference. I ordered all the replacement bolts to remove the side panels and raise up the shifter lever a bit. Only needs about 12mm or so of lift.

glad you got to ride today!

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:40:32 am »
Trophy electronics seen to do strange things when it is cold (under 40 F)
Others have reported the drop in the speedometer needle when cold.
 I get messages that my TPMS battery is low.  My windshield won't move until the bike has run a few minutes.  My turn signal switch will stick on the left side.  All these problems disappear after I have ridden a few miles and the temperature gets to about 50F.  Still, it is an amazing bike and I'm ready to start riding again.
You will like it.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 06:23:55 am »
It's still hard to think about having seasons that you can't ride!  But happy you were able to get some miles in.  And I've had the needle to zero issue 2 or 3  times, but it doesn't seem to affect anything else.
STONEY