Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Advice Please  (Read 2855 times)

Offline DataDavid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE ABS
  • City / Town: Florida
Advice Please
« on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:55 pm »
 :440:
I am looking at the instructions for my Ardmore light bar (part number LED7226-SMT-TS SMK) and the instruction say, in part:

For CanBus-equipped motorcycles with 3 wires (tail, brake, ground) in the tail section, connect the Blue
wire to the tail light wire, the Purple wire to the brake light wire and the Red wire directly to the POS (+)
terminal of your battery.

I am reluctant to connect anything directly to the battery.  I would rather connect it to a switched +12 Volt source.  Any thoughts on this?  Also, any thoughts on where would be a convenient source of switched +12 Volts?

I have attached the instructions from Ardmore and my planned wiring diagram for the bike.  Again, any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Data
Cushman Motor Scooter, Yamaha 60, Suzuki 380, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300, Honda Goldwing, and finally a Triumph Trophy!

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:42:50 am »
I installed a six output fuse block under the seat next to the little carrying caddy, and it just fits snugly with adhesive velcro on the bottom of it just to make sure it doesn't move about.  I tapped a switched source for the relay, which I put beside it.  I got a ground block at the auto parts so I have hot and ground both right there in the same area so I could put double coax panel mounts on the little canoe on the left side under the seat for rider and passenger heated gear.  I'll try to get some pictures posted later.  I think my total cost was around $70 US for all the sundry stuff I bought to do it.  The dealer's service dept. thought it came out pretty neat.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline DataDavid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE ABS
  • City / Town: Florida
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:22:31 am »
Thanks!!!
I like the idea of tapping a relay source.  I was thinking of tapping the Top Box Relay.  Even though the relay isn't installed, the source should still be hot while the bike is running.  I was also thinking of adding an in-line fuse just for safety sake.  I have attached my revised wiring diagram.

Thanks for your input!!!

Data
Cushman Motor Scooter, Yamaha 60, Suzuki 380, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300, Honda Goldwing, and finally a Triumph Trophy!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:22:00 am »
Looks like a good plan  -  Looking forward to seeing the Photo's when done  :169:

I know that some other Members have ftted AdMore lights with no problems  :028:

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 08:28:49 pm »
Here are a couple of pictures of the fuse block installation for extra switched circuits.  This costs much less to do than a PDM60,  but they have a lot of useful features included that I was not interested in.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 01:17:52 am »
Sweet! -Dr Ron  :038:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!