Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 2015 TTSE run away rpm...  (Read 9553 times)

Offline fnhead

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southside of Capones
2015 TTSE run away rpm...
« on: April 01, 2015, 12:30:58 pm »
Yesterday on my way to dealership to pickup some inner bags I ordered  the bike started revving up as I was shifting through gears. Pulled clutch it would just Rev up. In traffic so I started looking where to ditch the bike, did not want to hit the kill switch until I was clear, found a parking lot and I pulled in and shut her down. Tried to restart the bike and it turned over but no fire.  Called dealer and they came and picked me up. Ran diagnostics but bike is still dead. They are calling Triumph this morning to figure it out. Gave me a loaner Tiger. Waiting to hear the outcome.
HEAD
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: 2015 TTSE run away rpm...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:29:12 pm »
Hifnhead,

Sorry to hear of this - I am not aware of anyone else havng reported a similar problem
so please keep us posted as to what the Dealer identifies the fault to be.

Wondering if it's a faulty Twist Grip Sensor or Throttle Position Sensor  :084:

Offline fnhead

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:48:48 pm »
Sure got my attention and I am glad I did what I did and not shut her down right away since I was in a flow of traffic...

If was almost like a stuck throttle since it stayed in the 5-6k rpm range, now doing that kinda rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear in a 30mph zone with cars about was not my way of getting to the dealer...

Wish it happened when I pulled into their parking lot to have them experience it...

They will call me once they talked to mother Triumph, I guess they plug the laptop in and have the techs in the UK have a go while online...
HEAD
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:53:23 pm »
Wow, I've not heard of that happening on the Trophy.  (I did have it happen once on my 72 BSA).  Good thing you had the presence of mind to handle this properly.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:19:28 pm »
*Originally Posted by fnhead [+]
Yesterday on my way to dealership to pickup some inner bags I ordered  the bike started revving up as I was shifting through gears. Pulled clutch it would just Rev up. In traffic so I started looking where to ditch the bike, did not want to hit the kill switch until I was clear, found a parking lot and I pulled in and shut her down. Tried to restart the bike and it turned over but no fire.  Called dealer and they came and picked me up. Ran diagnostics but bike is still dead. They are calling Triumph this morning to figure it out. Gave me a loaner Tiger. Waiting to hear the outcome.
Sounds like what the Reno Triumph dealer said about my bike when the ECM was first changed after the recall. I cannot remember exactly what they said was wrong, it was something unusual, that was somewhat noticeable when I shifted even before the recall, where the RPM's would sometimes jump way up as I shifted. It became MUCH worse after the ECM was replaced, to the point making the bike unridable. They had to call Triumph tech support and the Reno dealer was told what to do to fix it and from then on, there was no trace of the problem.

I think I mentioned it in this forum after I got the bike back. Even after I was told what was wrong, it wasn't something I understood. I recall in this forum saying something like "whatever that means". So whatever it was, I think I mentioned it here somewhere. I will do a search and see if I can find my old message.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:59:01 pm »
*Originally Posted by fnhead [+]
I found the post, number 72 here:

"They had to somehow reset the "Throttle Motor Adaptations" whatever that means and then all was fine."

Anybody here know what "Throttle Motor Adaptations" with the TTSE is?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline fnhead

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:34:08 pm »
Thanks guys, I relayed the information to the dealership. Just stopped by at lunch time and my bike is in pieces.  Tech is going over everything found rear abs censor loose, bolts backed out and a few other things but nothing to report back yet. Bike still does not fire...
HEAD
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 10:39:54 pm »
Anybody here know what "Throttle Motor Adaptations" with the TTSE is?

It's probably a reference to this :

From the Service Manual :
The ( Dealer's ) diagnostic equipment can be connected to check :

Closed throttle position reference status
    Twist grip adaptation
    Oxygen sensor adaptation status ( off idle )
    Oxygen sensor adaptation range ( off idle )
    Oxygen sensor adaptation status ( idle )
    Oxygen sensor adaptation range ( idle )

"Adaptation" can be forced to take place manually by carrying out the following procedure :

Ensure rhe engine is COLD
    WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE, Start the engine and allow it to warm up until the Cooling Fan comes on.
    Leave the engine to idle for a further 12 minutes.