Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: West Virginia  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Quebec
West Virginia
« on: April 01, 2015, 06:00:27 pm »
Hi everyone , looking for advice . Was told or seen somewhere and since forgotten that there were some amazing roads /places to ride in West Virginia or thereabout, does anyone know more or even better been there and care to comment!!??  BTW I know the Blue Ridge Parkway is close but been there 3 times already!    :183:
Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:17:29 pm »
West Virginia? Just pick a road and go. 16 from Ellenboro all the way to Marion, Virginia is great. Rt. 50, Rt. 60 or Rt. 33 all of which run east/west are good rides. 219 on the eastern side is a great road. Rt. 10 from Huntington to Bluefield is nice. 250 is nice. Rt 19 takes you through the New River Gorge area where you could spend a few days exploring some great roads.  I think you may be getting the picture. Rt. 555 (The Triple Nickel) in eastern Ohio also draws a lot of riders. I live in southern Ohio so southeastern Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky are my riding grounds and we have some great roads here. You can spend an entire summer in this tri-state area and have a blast. Folks like to brag on Deal's Gap, but it has nothing on West Virginia. If riding on week days be on the watch for the coal and lumber trucks

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Quebec
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 11:48:04 pm »
Thank you NavyDad , furthermore any places that we dont want to miss while we are there apart from nice roads to roam....?
Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:43:44 am »
Cass scenic Railway is a good place to visit as is Green Bank Science center where the huge radio telescopes are in operation.  While in the Cass/Green Bank area check out Seneca Rocks it is a big hiking and rock climbing area and home to a very interesting rock formation. The New River Gorge area can be interesting and is a huge whitewater rafting area if you are so inclined. Hawks Nest State Park is nice and they have a very nice lodge to stay in at reasonable cost. If you want to get way off the beaten path pay a visit to Helvetia and eat at the Helvetia Hutte, you will be glad you did. Over on the WV Kentucky border is the small town of Matewan home of the Matewan Massacre which was a shoot out between local miners and the Baldwin-Felts Detective Agency. This is also the area of the Hatfield-McCoy feud. Look this stuff up, it is rather interesting. There used to be a neat little museum in Matewan, but it has been a few years since I was there. Then there are those great WV roads. As I stated earlier, you could spend the summer running around these hills. Make sure you stop in the small towns and talk with the local folks, plenty of history and info to be learned that way and friendlier folks are hard to find.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:01:11 am »
NavyDad is spot on! I would also recommend SmokeHole Road. I have some Garmin routes from my last trip I could send you...
Serial BMW rider

Offline gwcrim

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy, et. al.
  • City / Town: Steubenville Ohio
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:06:17 am »
I missed this earlier.  US Route 250 from Moundsville WV to Fairmont WV is 66 miles of two wheeled bliss.  The wife and I rode it today.  It's kind of rough and dirty just south of Cameron, but other than that, you'd be hard pressed to find a better road in the eastern half of the US, Deal's Gap an obvious exception.  But the Dragon is only 11 miles long.
~Crim~

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:28 pm »
My wife and I rode the Trophy on Deals Gap last year and of course did the required stop at the store, or resort, or whatever it is called now. A group of riders pulled in behind us and were all excited about just riding the "Gap". They asked us if that was the best road we had ever been on and I told them it was a lot like the roads we played on in West Virginia except the "Gap" was paved.  :007: They looked us  :112: looked at each other  :155: and walked away. I like the "Gap" I just don't see it as the Holy Grail of motorcycle roads in the eastern U.S.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:36:54 pm by NavyDad »

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE/14 K1600GT
  • City / Town: NEPA
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 01:23:19 pm »
Michael1960, we are planning a trip there this fall (Aug/Sept)  try to Google West Virginia motorcycle roads and pick the site that says 55 roads in WV then you can click on each road and it will rate it for you as well as tell the distance in miles.   We are probably going to stay at the New River Cabins in Fayetteville WV.   Seems like a good central location for all the good riding, but, as already said most all roads in WV are good just pick one.   The New River Cabins seems a reasonable price and since there are four of us going, each on their own bike, we can all four stay in the same cabin and split the cost.  good luck and fine riding.

tweedy-bunch