Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Advice regarding new bodily aches and pains with the new Trophy  (Read 10158 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
Gents,
  Just a quick jab and some things I'm experiencing after trading in my Tiger for the Trophy.   Love the bike-not the issue....

Situation:

1.  I am 6'4"/255 lbs (Yes, 14 % body fat) but I haven't been working out much after I retired from the Marine Corps.  Changing that today-focus on core/joints/back.   
2.  The seat height seems to be pretty good.  However, I do slide up quite a bit. 
3.  I get hot spots on each cheek. 
4.  My posture probably isn't where it needs to be.  I'm letting my lower back get lazy and I'm constantly correcting myself-when-I think about it. 
5.  I have a slight ache btwn my shoulder blades that only goes away when I stop at a light or take a brake. 

Thoughts:

Hot spots and sliding:
1.  I read the other posts regarding after market seats.  That is an option. 
2.  Comfort seat-is it worth the money and does it ramp up so the slide isn't so pronounced?
3.  I think I would like a wider seat as well.  Reaching the ground is not a problem for me.  35" inseam.
4.  If I have to do aftermarket seat-what is the best method to highlight issues to a seat manufacturer without going broke throughout the process?
5.  Which manufacturer (seats)  may help in the lower back posture arena?

Shoulders:

1.  Initially I was thinking that the seat may the culprit....  However, may an adjustment of the handle bars be an option? 
 -back
 -up
 - forward
2.  Are there aftermarket components that may offer some short of compromise?

I'd appreciate any insight/advice.  I had this issue before when I rode a Vulcan (1500 classic).  It went away with the high fetus position of the Tiger.   I don't want to think I  made a mistake because I really really love what the Trophy offers me.   Cheers Trophy mates!  BC
Big Country

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Advice regarding new bodily aches and pains with the new Trophy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:58:52 pm »
I have the comfort seat which is flatter and just a tad taller than the stock seat. That eliminated the sliding forward issue for me. I then use an Air Hawk R cushion which makes this set up all day comfortable for me with no pressure points or hot spots. The ache between my shoulders is now gone and I think it was just an adjustment period that I had to deal with. The seating and handlebar position was a bit different on my BMW and I think I needed to get used to the Trophy. I am now very happy with the bike.

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:04:15 pm »
Thanks Navy Dad,

I was hoping for some intel like that.  So, some adjustments to the seat, as you stated, alleviated most of it.  Good!   

WRT the AirHawk cushion-is that only for long distance or do you use it all the time? 
Big Country

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:34:48 pm »
Air Hawk is used primarily for longer rides, but then so is the Trophy. I have a 250 Ninja that is used for around town and solo riding. Great little bike for errands etc. The Trophy comes out when My wife wants to ride, which is often and we take it on our Saturday rides and trips. We have logged 21,000 since we purchased it in December of 2014.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:38:46 pm »
I'm a bit shorter (5'11") with 32 inch inseam. I wouldn't want to be much higher off the ground. I'm thankful that the standard seat is fine for me on days up to 500 miles. I vaguely remember a little shoulder/back discomfort with I initially got the bike and when I started up again last spring after a long winter break. It didn't last long. I find the bike incredibly comfortable.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 10:18:52 pm »
Yeah, I'm thinking a little more yoga and less Nola Blonde (local beer); along with time in the saddle and I'll be fine.  I have a trip up to NC mountains end of the month so I will see how it works on that trip before I make a big decision.   
Big Country

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:34 pm »
Make mine an Abita amber and try "soft hands" if you're not already riding like that.  I saw an article by Nick Lenatsch about riding with "soft hands" and started riding that way and improved a lot of tension in the shoulders.  Still a bit of a work in progress, but much more relaxed now most of the time.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 12:40:12 am »
There are mods you can do to the bike that will help, like a better seat.  I just purchased a Russell Day long and that eliminates the sliding forward.  Actually the comfort seat was not too bad but my wife was not comfortable on the pillion seat because she kept sliding forward.  She told me I had to get a better seat and I complied.  I told Russell about sliding forward and they hear that all the time and not just Triumph.  My R1200rt did the same with the stock seat.  i had to replace it almost immediately.

Posture can also make a big difference in day to day life and riding a bike.  The link below helped me.  I am 6'4" and 240lbs. 

Here is a link to the "Master Yoda" riding.  This works but you do need to practice.  Does not take long to see results. 
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2737#Post2737

Good luck!
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

tweedy-bunch