Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Reflective tape  (Read 6642 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Reflective tape
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
To help my bike be more viewable on the road I purchased some 100mm strips of Blue and White Battenburg and placed two of them on the panniers at the rear running down the black part of the panniers. For those outside of the UK, this colouring is of a similar type to that that used by the Police over here (they now use Blue and Yellow)). The colours match the bike and look in place with the rest of it.

I thought nothing more of it until last week when I rode from Milton Keynes one Friday evening to my fiancÚes in Nottingham. I stopped for a short brake at a Motorway services and was approached by a young lorry driver. He asked about the bike, told me how great it looks then said " you came past me a junction back and your bike looked really great. Did you know though that it looks like an unmarked police motorcycle". I replied that I didn't. He added that "the traffic backed off after you passed them as they thought you were too".

Now that was never the intention but  if it helps me be seen and keeps the cars at bay..............................
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline RAS

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
Re: Reflective tape
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
You are seriously expecting us to believe that you didn't think that you might get confused for a police bike???  :745:_Really?? You are having a laugh! :745: Watch you don't get pulled for impersonating a police bike. The colours do not have to match to be guilty. 

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
Interesting subject Berber.

Today (14th April 2013) I just did a West Yorkshire Police "Ridesafe day"

One on one rider tution with a road traffic police motorcyclist.

He had a BMW RT police bike, hi viz jacket, the lot.

When he was in front riding, he had, on 2 occassions, cars coming out of junctions in front of him.
He had a police bike with all the bells & whistles on, yet he almost had a second prize.

Moral of the story is :-

Putting Hi viz gear/making your bike look like it's a police type bike don't make you any safer.

As always....

Just my opinion folks

Wscad

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 10:40:11 PM »
On reflection Berber.

RAS has perhaps explained this issue in a more clearer manner than I did in my previous post.

Scenerio 1

I'm on the motorway, in my BMW car, or my Audi car.
I am important, because my car is a BMW or a Audi.
I am in the outside lane of the motorway (where else should a BM/Audi car be)?

Spot a bike in mirror ...........looks like a plod bike.....mmmm
best pull in to middle lane & let him past.

Bike goes past.

BMW/AUDI car driver says:- Look what we have here...........a wannabe police motorbike rider.

Let's have some fun.

Don't try to make your bike look like a police bike.

Cheers

Wscad

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »
Interesting points Wscad. I chose Blue to match the bike (I was going to have Blue diagonals but then decided that was too much to have on the panniers). I knew they were similar to that of the Police  but liked the tidiness of the thinner tape. Given I am in black, I honestly never thought that anyone would take me for a copper (as far as I am aware the unmarked Police bikes are simply that, unmarked).

That all said, if the cars back off (the tape is on the rear not the front or sides) all the better as far as I am concerned.

Interesting point made by the Lorry driver though. It certainly made me think.

George Harrison

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »
I have had this "issue" for some years. I used to ride for the SERV charity which mainly delivers blood to hospitals. Most of the work is at night so like me, most riders (who use their own bikes) put some form of conspicuity markings on their bikes. I got the red/yellow chevrons for the panniers on my silver ST1300 and the difference was marked- cars generally keep their distance.

The bike cannot be "done" for impersonating a police bike- there is no such offence. Only the rider can be accused of impersonating a police officer.

As the chevrons seemed so effective and I was considering going back to riding for SERV I contacted Bluelite Graphics in Burgess Hill who supplied my ST1300 chevrons. They said that they did not have a kit for the Trophy as they had not seen one and asked if I was willing to lend them my bike for a few hours so that they could "template" it. I was down there last Friday and they did the business. I am now waiting for them to draw up the cutting designs. The templating didn't take as long as expected because they already had the panniers on file from another Triumph (Sprint ST?)

Unfortunately, due to a change in personal circumstances (my wife has just been diagnosed with a degenerative terminal condition) I will not be going back to "bloodrunning". I may still get a set of chevrons to help me to keep safe and I am sure Bluelite will be happy to supply others,  so the exercise should have benefited the community.

BP
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:34:23 AM by BluePilot »
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »
BP,

Truly sorry to hear about your wife's recent diagnosis.  Best wishes to you both.

Brian

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »
Oh BP. I don't know what to say. I too am really sorry to hear about your wife.

George Harrison

tweedy-bunch