Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: A couple of issues  (Read 3373 times)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
A couple of issues
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:04:30 am »
HI

Been riding around west France this week and put a fair few km on the bike.  Cam across a couple of issues, and would appreciate comments.

1. Entering a motorway at accelerating from 110km -> 140km - lost power.  More I tried to accelerate, the less the bike did.  It felt like the traction control was stopping the power, but may have been something else?  Knocked it down to 5th and it was fine & has been fine ever since.

2. ABS working all the time.  I don't think this is the norm, having ridden the bike a while, I guess the ABS should only kick in under hard braking, I haven't really used the ABS as I tend not to brake hard ever.  However the ABS is working all the time now under all braking, even slow light braking under slow moving conditions.

The bloody vibrating is annoying.

Finally my 'all weather' USB socket set on fire the other night as I started the bike up.  It had been raining all day and as I started the bike, a pile of smoke came out.  The fuse was still intact.  Luckily kept calm and cut the damned thing off and threw it away, Chinese crap!

Comments welcome

thanks

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: A couple of issues
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:22 am »
Hi neojynx,

Sounds like there is a problem wiith the ABS system which could be causing the frequent ABS operation,
and also be the cause of the hesitancy to accelerate that you described.

I would check the ABS Reluctor rings first ( Triumph call them "Pulsor" Rings ) - Front & Rear wheels.
( See Photo below ) Check they are running true - no excessive "run out",
and that there are no missing "teeth".

If those are OK, then there might be a problem with one of the Wheel Speed Sensors -
check they are securely mounted and that the electrical connections appear good.

Are there any DTC ( Diagnostic Trouble Codes ) recorded ?

Refer to this topic if you don't know how to display DTC's on your Trophy Instrument Panel,
and for a look up list if you do find any : Servicing Data and Reference Information -
Reply #8 "Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) / Fault Codes"

As for the USB Socket - WOW  :005:  Is the bike still under warranty ?

Cheers  :821:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:46:37 am »
And.... Are you absolutely sure it is the ABS? Look at some of the other threads on brake judder due to warped discs....

Coconut is right to suggest checking the ABS rings too.... They are fairly flimsy and easily damaged.

Do you mean the bikes built in USB plug or an aftermarket one you added?

The loss of power I am not sure what to suggest other than getting the fault codes checked. Not experienced anything like that and there are so many things it could be.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:58:32 am »
Nah the USB was an after market. Fitted to power my car satnav, but no longer used anyway since I fitted the Zumo, so not missed.  Dont think its warped discs, really does feel like the ABS.  The garage can look at in on Friday.  As for the power loss, no idea.  Must say though that otherwise the TT has performed well, did 236KM yesterday in 2 1/4 hours..  Solid as a rock on the autoroute..

G
Honda Deauville
Triumph Sprint GT

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 09:31:36 am »
The ABS system doesn't just control the Brakes, but the Traction Control system too.

If the system senses a difference in wheel speeds, this can result in a loss of accelleration  :169:

If there are "unusual" signals being sensed by the system ( e.g. due to a faulty sensor ),
then the result can be "unusual" behaviour ! 

In this recent Topic : 2015 TTSE run away rpm... :

... the rear wheel speed sensor bolt was backed out and caused erratic readings
which in turn wacked out the ecu and caused a lot of adjustment by the throttle stepper motor
which in turn cause the tps sensor to act up ...

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:38:39 am »
You can turn the TCC off If you do this it will at least stop you loosing power as It sounds like a wheel speed sensor fault

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:05:03 pm »
Well took the bike in today and had the TPMS sensors replaced on warranty.  Seemed a bit odd that when I picked it up the front was 34 & rear 38...  I had them at 38/42 before.

Anyway Ill sort that out this weekend.

Regarding the vibration issue, they tested it and I was right (altho it felt like ABS, but it wasn't in my mind), it is vibrating and they are going to change the discs on warranty..  Slightly warped discs (seems to be common this) but at least its getting done for nothing.

Worth keeping an eye on as I seem to be one of many...

G
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:06:51 pm by neojynx »
Honda Deauville
Triumph Sprint GT