Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Unexplained power-down  (Read 3257 times)

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Unexplained power-down
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
Riding home the other day I was sitting at traffic lights at a major junction. As I sat there the screen started to park itself and the engine cut. I turned the ignition off and on and tried a couple of restarts to no avail. in the end I had to paddle the bike to the side of the road and completely power it down for a few seconds before is started normally. This was a really dangerous situation as I was at the front of the traffic, in front of an HGV in the middle of 3 lanes exiting the M25.

This was the first time the bike has "died" on me, although there have been similar reports on this forum. It had been raining quite heavily on and off and I wondered if this may be a common factor.

As I say, the first indication was the screen dropping.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Unexplained power-down
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
Surely you are going to query it with your dealer so they can plug it in and see if there are any error codes logged in the on-board computer?

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by BluePilot [+]
Riding home the other day I was sitting at traffic lights at a major junction. As I sat there the screen started to park itself and the engine cut. I turned the ignition off and on and tried a couple of restarts to no avail. in the end I had to paddle the bike to the side of the road and completely power it down for a few seconds before is started normally. This was a really dangerous situation as I was at the front of the traffic, in front of an HGV in the middle of 3 lanes exiting the M25.

This was the first time the bike has "died" on me, although there have been similar reports on this forum. It had been raining quite heavily on and off and I wondered if this may be a common factor.

As I say, the first indication was the screen dropping.

BP

BP

Just reported on another thread. Mine in for checking on Wed  :087: But this has now happened six times to me now and this will be the second time they have attached the lap top to find the fault.
Problem being if the bike thinks its being switched off the errors will not be logged :087: In my situation the bike has always been moving usually in 3rd slowing down to change into 2nd all electrics dead  :005: :005:
Then after multiple attempts it fires back into life and everything comes back on. Then carries on for days showing no fault " FU!!ING THING" As I've just explain to my dealer this not the type of reliability I would expect from a "TOURING BIKE" or any bike for that matter, but knowing my luck I'll be Germany or Spain when it finally gives up the ghost and I'll be truly FUBAR :157: :157:
Lets hope we get a result before it causes an accident perish the thought.
Will keep posting any news.
Still think its the best bike I've owned  :062: Just needs some TLC  :745:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
Sorry about your troubles chaos hope it gets fixed keep us informed as it will give us evidence if it happens to us.

John

Offline Trom100

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Weston
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
My advice is that after allowing the dealer to try and rectify a couple of times you  should consider rejecting the bike.  This type of defect is very dangerous and it is your life at stake.  Try and talk directly to the tech working on your bike and document everything.  Having done all this my dealer and Triumph were hugely helpful in sorting out and replacing my bike.  So far a thousand trouble free miles on new bike and confidence growing back daily. Triumph will want to sort this as badly as you do.  Good luck. Trom

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
Trom,

This is the first time that this fault has happened to me but similar issues have been reported on this forum. The power-down itself was not dangerous but it did occur in a hazardous traffic situation.

This appears to be an unusual and intermittent fault and as such is extremely unlikely to recur "to order" while the bike is being tested on the bench. Also, as I and others have pointed out, this kind of power issue is almost impossible to diagnose using on-board logging equipment as the power failure will almost certainly take the logging computers down with it.

I am beginning to understand why Triumph are paranoid about a dealer or owner "interfering" with the bike's wiring. It seems pretty fragile.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:57:31 PM »
This very phenomenon happened quite frequently with the BMW K1200/1300 GT bikes. Turned out to be the Euro standard too-lean-fueling software, esp down low near idle. Solution is to get a Power Commander fuel module and richen things up a bit. Once installed, it never happened again to anyone who had the fuel module added!  :169:  -Dr Ron
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »
Interesting comments. I must admit that I have stalled it once and do feel I need to give the old fella a bit of extra juice when moving off.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

tweedy-bunch