Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Driver backrest  (Read 5741 times)

Offline DataDavid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE ABS
  • City / Town: Florida
Driver backrest
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:31:28 pm »
Has anyone used or seen a Corbin backrest used on a Trophy with the stock saddles?  I am planning a trip to Texas next month and would really like a backrest.  I was looking at a Corbin #297-SB but can't tell from their web site if it can be used with stock saddles.  I e-mailed them but haven't gotten a response.  Any other suggestions on a backrest that can be used with the stock saddles and don't require modifying the stock saddles would be appreciated.

Cheers

Data
Cushman Motor Scooter, Yamaha 60, Suzuki 380, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300, Honda Goldwing, and finally a Triumph Trophy!

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Re: Driver backrest
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:40:50 pm »
I have the Corbin backrest and I don't see how it would work on the OEM set with out some serious modifications.

The Corbin backrest has a metal bar that slides down into a receiver slot in the seat pan and secures with a set screw.

Will you be solo?  In a previous life and a couple of bikes ago I used to put a roll bag on the pillion seat, strapped my bike cover in it's storage pouch (like a pillow) to the front of the roll bag.  It hit my lumbar area perfectly and I rode many miles that way.  When I carried the bag into the hotel at night I just left the "pillow" strapped to it.

Just a thought.

Offline DataDavid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:47:51 pm »
*Originally Posted by BigD [+]
I have the Corbin backrest and I don't see how it would work on the OEM set with out some serious modifications.

The Corbin backrest has a metal bar that slides down into a receiver slot in the seat pan and secures with a set screw.

Will you be solo?  In a previous life and a couple of bikes ago I used to put a roll bag on the pillion seat, strapped my bike cover in it's storage pouch (like a pillow) to the front of the roll bag.  It hit my lumbar area perfectly and I rode many miles that way.  When I carried the bag into the hotel at night I just left the "pillow" strapped to it.

Just a thought.
Big D,
I just talked to Corbin and they confirmed their backrests have to be used with a Corbin saddle.  I will be ridding solo and considered what you mentioned.  Still considering it!

Thanks!!

Data
Cushman Motor Scooter, Yamaha 60, Suzuki 380, BMW R1200RT, Honda ST1300, Honda Goldwing, and finally a Triumph Trophy!

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:56:10 pm »
Check with Utopia.  There is a post elsewhere on the forum with pictures of one on a Trophy with standard seat.  There are options for it such as quick detach mount, etc..  You may need to call them.  Looks like it installs in the very front of the passenger seating area.  They have install available for a charge, but it is designed to be installed by the customer.  I think there are videos or step by step instructions with pictures.

Modified to furnish post on Utopia.
Look in the accessories and products category for the post: Utopia backrest for Trophy and there are pictures there.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:00:21 pm by trophied »
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline DataDavid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:38:29 pm »
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
Check with Utopia.  There is a post elsewhere on the forum with pictures of one on a Trophy with standard seat.  There are options for it such as quick detach mount, etc..  You may need to call them.  Looks like it installs in the very front of the passenger seating area.  They have install available for a charge, but it is designed to be installed by the customer.  I think there are videos or step by step instructions with pictures.

Modified to furnish post on Utopia.
Look in the accessories and products category for the post: Utopia backrest for Trophy and there are pictures there.
Thanks!  I just called them and you have to cut your stock seat.  Not gonna happen!

Thanks

Data

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 08:03:41 am »
Just a thought ....  :084:

Stock seats come up for sale fairly frequentlty by Owners that have upgraded to a Heated Seat,
Comfort Seat, High or Low etc, so it might be worth picking up one of those and having it
fitted with the Back Rest for long trips, and keeping your own Original seat for "normal" use ?

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:06:16 pm »
Logical cost effective option Alan.  :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:14:29 pm »
As I have the heated rear seat and I still have the original unseated rear I was considering doing just that and adding this backrest to the original seat...

Is the rear pillion seat still useable with the riders backrest in place I wonder?
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧