Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: changed the final drive oil today  (Read 9571 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
changed the final drive oil today
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:30:16 am »
I changed the final drive oil today. This is the third time I've changed it.   I was surprised to see the oil looking as clear and viscous as the day I put it in 10,000 miles ago. i'm not ready to admit that Triumph is correct in saying the oil  never need to Be changed but it certainly doesn't need changing every 10,000 miles as I had planned.  BTW I highly recommend Mobil full synthetic
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Datum 28

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Re: changed the final drive oil today
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:08:52 am »
mobil one is good stuff. I think the current bottle is catrol that I have.

I was planning on swapping it out every valve adjustment, and if it's clear enough at that point, doubling the interval. Although it's so little oil, the sealing washers are inexpensive (and I have a lot of them), and it takes so little time.

decisions. I may end up just doing whatever triumph says. Change it once, never bother again. debating.....

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:22:40 pm »
I change mine every 10,000 while I am doing the engine oil change. I agree that 10,000 is probably overkill, but I already have the drain pan and tools out and it just takes a few minutes. As they say; peace of mind is priceless.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 04:32:42 pm »
*Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
I change mine every 10,000 while I am doing the engine oil change. I agree that 10,000 is probably overkill, but I already have the drain pan and tools out and it just takes a few minutes. As they say; peace of mind is priceless.
Well that was my philosophy as well.  I'm certainly not concerned about the expense and the time.  Nor even the marginal environmental impact, given that I recycle with the engine oil, which I change every 5000.  Its more that as I looked at the fluid which appeared pristine it just seemed so needless. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 04:46:25 pm »
IT might be obvious but I wonder what that oil actually does.  If it does anything really important and mechanical then I would expect to have to change it often.  Just thinking out loud as it seems very difficult to get on with any work.??  SO post here instead of coding much more interesting  :164:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:55:39 pm »
The fluid is to lubricate and prevent friction between the gears in the final drive unit.  Doing so reduces wear and the heat buildup that would accompany metal on metal.  So I would say it is quite important.  But the only change Triumph recommends is at the initial breakin service.   Triumph says after that it is only necessary to monitor levels and add as necessary.  Well if I was going to the trouble of removing the fill plug I would just go ahead and remove the drain and change.  More importantly if I was losing final drive oil (ie level is down) I would sure want to know why.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 05:15:20 pm »
Good point W8d4it.  I was not advocating not changing the oil and for the added small expense I would change when I changed the engine oil.

But I would have thought if it was going to be 'cut' up by meshing gears then it would need changing. But perhaps I am too old and thinking of older style oils Castrol R anyone.  (yes I do have some tins of R still)

Offline Trophy Tom

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy
  • City / Town: Hudsonville Mich.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »
I'll do mine from time to time just because it can't hurt anything, it's a fast easy job and inexpensive
Trophy Tom

tweedy-bunch